Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5797 (Misses' Corset, Sash and Shrug)

Reviewed by:LotusMonkey

Butterick Pattern Info

More Info provided by LotusMonkey

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Coat/Jacket    Lingerie
Butterick 5797 was the basis for a tutu bodice that I planned to use both as part of a Halloween costume and as the bodice for a classical trio to be performed the following June. The pattern calls for a zipper, however, tutu bodices are never zipped. They’re always closed with hooks and eyes or if sewn from stretch fabrics for the cheaper kind, they’re just pulled on.

I cut and sewed View A for a size 12, but had to make it smaller for my short torso and smaller stature than the measurement guides had me expect. I added elastic that will be covered with my make-up foundation to match my skin tone — a regular tactic that ballet dancers do to cover up elastic. I needed flexibility in the strap, but also security.

Here’s a view of the bodice in the upholstery fabric with the appliques hand-stitched them down. Even though the appliques are fusible with an iron, I discovered by using them on a Cavalier’s Tunic (men’s ballet costume top) that they are easily displaced during partnering and with sweat, so I had to hand-sew those down on my former ballet partner’s costume.

This is a difficult pattern to adjust for a custom fit. I altered it so that it would close in the back, even though the pattern calls for a front closure. I think the sides are not perfect, but they’re acceptable to me. To be honest, this kind of garment is more ideally purchased than sewn, as it is quite intricate, time-consuming, and requires several fittings with someone pinning you patiently. But, since something of this nature costs hundreds of dollars, I might end up making one again.

WHATEVER YOU DO, TRY ON THE CORSET/BODICE OVER WHAT YOU INTEND TO WEAR IT WITH before you determine the length of the corset. I forgot to try it on over my tutu and consequently, the bodice is too long for my tutu (not pictured). Since I had ordered custom-cut flexible spiral steel boning with grommets attached, it was too late to change, even though I tried very hard to shorten the base. I’ll probably have to sew another bodice for the show in June, now, though, I’m hoping there’s some way to salvage the situation. Bad move.

I did not follow the instructions precisely. I did not use bias-cut seam binding to bind the edges. I put the right sides of the bodice and lining together; sewed a 1/4 inch seam, then flipped it over and hand-stitched an edge-stitch. Then I hand-stitched the lining over the hook & eye tape. Lastly, I pinned the bottom hem in place and hand-stitched it in place. Because I had messed up on the bodice length by not trying it on my tutu, I had the custom-cut boning right to the edges of the seams, hence the prevalence of hand-sewing at the end of the project.

Also, I neglected to make sure the lining pieces and the bodice pieces were IDENTICAL sizes. (I used a cotton-polyester ivory twill fabric.) I kept having my fitter fit each separately, so they didn’t line up. That worked out to my advantage with the boning situation… the longest pieces were still acceptable because they didn’t line up where they were supposed to line up with the bodice. LOTS of mistakes, but I will make this again in the future some time.

For more photos, please click to my Sewing Blog

By the way, I'm a free member so if I don't respond to your message, it's not b/c I don't appreciate it! Thank you
Vancouvergirl said... (12/28/14 9:04 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!
Sethskid said... (3/10/14 2:26 PM) Reply
Love your top, wonderful job!
Sethskid said... (3/10/14 2:26 PM) Reply
I would think view C or D would've been the best pick for you, as the zipper is in the back on that view & there's no center front seam. Yours looks great! If you make it again try view C or D (without the trim). I'll be making this top soon!
LotusMonkey said... (4/2/13 10:45 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone. It WAS a lot of work and just like having a baby, the labor left my muscle memory and I'm thinking about making one in red satin :D agh!!!!
nitsel said... (10/30/12 7:32 PM) Reply
It looks wonderful and fits beautifully! You can be proud of all your hard work on this project. I'd love to see a picture of the whole outfit with the tutu.
NJcowgirl said... (10/30/12 2:07 PM) Reply
What a beautiful and well fitted bodice. It was worth the effort. I'm sure you learned a lot from sewing this difficult project.
prostheticsgirl said... (10/30/12 9:40 AM) Reply
Sorry it was such a difficult project. It looks lovely though, and the next version should come together much more quickly and easily
prostheticsgirl said... (10/30/12 9:40 AM) Reply
rmusic1 said... (10/30/12 4:14 AM) Reply
wow - what a lot of work. I admire your dedication and think the result is very pretty

Understanding Wool Fabrics