Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1409 (Madison Avenue Dress)

Reviewed by:KathleenS

About KathleenSstarstar
NA AUSTRALIA
Member since: 11/18/02
Posted on:1/25/05 9:21 PM
Last Updated:1/25/05 9:21 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
slanden99 said... (6/20/06 2:43 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! It's very flattering on you.
kirianth said... (1/29/05 2:11 AM) Reply
If there's ever a slow sewing sew-along, I'm there too! I've been meaning to take this one out of my stash; sounds like it's still working wonders.
KathleenS said... (1/28/05 2:06 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I think that this dress is not really for the stick-thin boy's figure. I feel it shows off what curves I have, and would do the same on a larger but hourglass figure. On the other hand, it is very fitted - it shows off rather than disguising, so you have to be comfortable with that.

Asa and Anne, maybe we do need to start a sew-along for slow sewers! I know I could be so much faster.

goldengirl said... (1/27/05 10:36 AM) Reply
This is very nice and very flattering on you! Thanks for the thorough review. I think I will have to GET this one also.
Lisa Laree said... (1/27/05 8:01 AM) Reply
excellent review! I've looked at this dress a few times but haven't sprung for it yet...not being willow thin, I'm not sure I wouldn't just look like an Eckrich sausage in it... ;). Actually, this dress looks very much like the Loes Hinse Sweater Set Shell, lengthened into a dress. That pattern I have...hmmm....
Danvillegirl said... (1/26/05 8:00 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. You thin folks look so nice in this dress. Great review.
JDpenelope said... (1/26/05 6:03 PM) Reply
Very nice! You certainly have the figure for this dress. Your in-depth review will be very helpful should I take the plunge and sew this up (I have the pattern.) I like my skirts a little longer than yours and I'm not sure the trumpet style would work.
ryan's mom said... (1/26/05 4:06 PM) Reply
This dress looks beautiful on you. Great job!
Elemenopeo said... (1/26/05 3:12 PM) Reply
Great version of this pattern. I agree, it is a nice one.
Levone said... (1/26/05 12:31 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress.
Annika said... (1/26/05 10:37 AM) Reply
Wonderful choice of colors!
Deepika said... (1/26/05 7:44 AM) Reply
Love it! and looks so awesome on you.
marjenann said... (1/26/05 7:28 AM) Reply
Definitely a winner!!! Lovely look!
JoleneF said... (1/26/05 7:17 AM) Reply
Very nice and very good review!
Gail S said... (1/26/05 6:57 AM) Reply
I just ordered this pattern this week. It looks great on you.
AnneM said... (1/26/05 4:41 AM) Reply
Great dress. Amazing how fast you made it; very encouraging. I'm in the slow-sewers club. I've mulled this pattern over many times; I probalby need to get it. Oh, & great idea on lining the back only to prevent show-through.
Gloria Allender said... (1/26/05 2:56 AM) Reply
Kathleen, your dress looks really great! I am getting ready to make this myself and really appreciate your comments. I will be sure to watch the overall length because mid-calf isn't flattering to me.
Asa Hagstrom said... (1/26/05 2:49 AM) Reply
Your dress looks fabulous on you, Kathleen! I hope some good fabric finds its way to you, because I don't think you could have too many of these.

You sound just like me with the slowness - I also spend so much time on every step, even on simple projects! I've also been trying to push myself to see if I can be faster (usually I can). Maybe we should start a slow sewer's sew-along :)

Jennifer shaw said... (1/25/05 11:03 PM) Reply
Wow- this is so gorgeous!! Your dress looks fantastic on you, Kathleen. Thanks for your review.
Denny1600 said... (1/25/05 9:39 PM) Reply
Kathleen--Wow! THis is beautiful. You did a great job on this dress. And the fabric is a hit. It makes me think of Hawaii, so it's a great combination for summer!

by: Sharonspil...