Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5685 (Misses' Jacket and Coat)

Reviewed by:RebeccaMarie

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Outerwear

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

kerrymay said... (1/12/13 6:35 PM) Reply
your review made me laugh out loud - I made it the coat in deep red (see review above yours) and it ended up looking like a dressing gown - you win some you lose some
ChristineX said... (11/24/12 8:29 PM) Reply
Great, even though in a heroin addict kinda way ;-) The lines of the coat are very nice.
Sew4Fun said... (11/23/12 4:20 PM) Reply
LOL! Great review. Thanks for the laugh. I hope you find somewhere to wear your coat after all your work.
Sue Parrott said... (11/22/12 7:44 PM) Reply
I too, like many reviewers, love your coat. I am wondering if you'd like it better with different buttons? Just wondering. Wear this wonderful coat with pride! It is adorable! I have this pattern so I appreciate the honest review. :)
Gwinnier said... (11/22/12 3:57 PM) Reply
too much fun, especially for DC !! just keep rockin', no matter what - oh, the coat: so much talent ... What's next???
Michele Lommasson said... (11/21/12 4:30 PM) Reply
I have to agree with MNBarb. You coat does look just like the era you were aiming for. It looks like it fits (of course the amazing collar does obscure things a bit). I'm not sorry to disagree with you, I rather like it. It doesn't look like it's wearing you, it suits you. Put it in the closet and let it mellow. Perhaps the enormity of it will dissipate. (You know you want to wear it!)
AuntieShel said... (11/21/12 2:54 PM) Reply
Have to agree that this coat is awesome!! Love at first sight when I clicked on the picture, then I read "ok but did not work for me," ??? then I read your hilarious review. However, you totally rock this coat!! Looks perfect to me. I am sorry the velveteen was much stiffer than you thought, one of the pitfalls of buying fabric online. But you did a great job with it!!
MNBarb said... (11/21/12 12:49 PM) Reply
A well-written fun review. I want to see the coat without the collar. It seems to fit you really well in the photos. You look like a 1960-70's Marianne Faithfull or Michelle Phillips from the Mamas and Papas. Live it up and wear your jacket around town. It's unique and retro! Show off your work.
sew4grands said... (11/21/12 11:40 AM) Reply
I love the velveteen, but the fake fur...not so much. Is it possible to replace the fur with a solid velveteen, a color that is already in the body of the coat, then you would have a winner.
betty bushwacker said... (11/21/12 10:35 AM) Reply
Put that white flag away girl, that coat is fantastic! It's one of those garments that needs the total look going on. You've got the boots, how about a really curly updo in your hair? Obviously, you've got the personality to totally rock this look. Go for it!! Thanks for a great review.
Ciclista said... (11/21/12 9:25 AM) Reply
Crazy fabulous review! Just like your coat :)
NJcowgirl said... (11/21/12 9:13 AM) Reply
You're way too hard on yourself. I think it's actually a fun coat. Wear it--it's one of a kind.
prostheticsgirl said... (11/21/12 8:12 AM) Reply
Your reviews always crack me up! I think it could totally work with some tweaks. The velveteen is beautiful- very retro chic. I would love to see pics of it without the yetti. I bet it's lovely just as is with a self collar. Have you thought about scouring vintage shops for some real fur for the cuffs/collar or maybe contrast velvet?
BettyMike said... (11/21/12 5:15 AM) Reply
I think your coat is AWESOME! Anyone that makes a coat like that has to wear it. Thanks for the fun to read review!
LynnRowe said... (11/20/12 11:54 PM) Reply
I thought Yeti fur was protected...
sewtime said... (11/20/12 9:46 PM) Reply
I reall love your coat! Fun and cute. I hope you change Your mind.
Lynnelle said... (11/20/12 8:47 PM) Reply
How else can a garment be described as road-kill chic and pimptastic at the same time and not be fabulous? Thanks for the great review!
miausiau said... (11/20/12 7:39 PM) Reply
It's hilarious and crazy fun...you'll find the right time to wear it I hope. Fabulous!!
harpsew said... (11/20/12 7:17 PM) Reply
The velveteen is gorgeous, and the coat seems to fit well - I, too, would like to see a photo without the fur. You really did a good job on this coat.
butterflyfly said... (11/20/12 5:51 PM) Reply
You are too harsh to your creation.. I actually like the fabric you chose! Do you have any pictures without the fur? By the look of the picture it does fit you and I would totally wear it.
regal80 said... (11/20/12 5:29 PM) Reply
I think it's pimptatstic, and I meant hat in a good way. I'm too shy to wear it out in public so I understand, but this is quite a sexy coat, you have to wear this with some attitude and some big old heels.
CreativeDiva said... (11/20/12 4:44 PM) Reply
I actually like it. It's cool, in that funky Pam Grier/Foxxy Brown way I love.

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2005-110