Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5107 (Bistro Jacket)

Reviewed by:Diane E

About Diane Estarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:1/31/05 7:56 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

moushka said... (3/12/05 12:35 PM) Reply
Diane - Beautiful! Looks like it came from Loes' boutique. CJ's fabric is stunning. Combined with your sewing expertise, this is a first class version of this pattern. Thanks for sharing.
baberuth said... (2/14/05 9:32 PM) Reply
Thanks for the info, Diane. I think back darts will make all the difference to how Loes' jackets fit me. BTW, you and I are shaped very similarly - probably why we both love Loes' patterns which seem to suit relatively slender, small-busted, slightly pear-shaped but curvy bodies!
Diane E said... (2/14/05 8:35 AM) Reply
Baberuth, I used the darts from the front pattern piece and placed them a little higher than where they are on the front. I am pretty narrow above the back waist, and I benefit from more shaping there. Sounds like you have similar preferences.
baberuth said... (2/13/05 7:50 PM) Reply
Diane, I too love Loes' patterns but like you, prefer more shaping in the back. Your jacket looks spectacular. My question is: where exactly did you position your darts in the back - ie., how far from CB are they? How deep are the darts and how long are they?
Diane E said... (2/4/05 7:29 PM) Reply
Thanks, Irene, and yes, I made size S. As mentioned, the only changes I made were to add the back darts and remove the curve in the upper back seam.
Irene said... (2/4/05 4:02 PM) Reply
Gorgeous, Diane! I'm going to have to get this one, too. Did you make your usual size S?
CatherineN said... (2/1/05 7:50 PM) Reply
Attractive jacket! Everyone's look so different but always nice. Glad to see you back.
AnneM said... (2/1/05 7:21 PM) Reply
Diane E said... (2/1/05 6:43 PM) Reply
Thank you all so much. You have no idea how much the conversation with you helps me to sew. I love being able to share my sewing pleasure (and sometimes pain #@%) with you, knowing that you'll understand and share with me, as well.
sewywabbit said... (2/1/05 10:32 AM) Reply
Beautiful and very inspiring! So glad to see you back reviewing here, I hang on your every word. I have noticed the facing problem on almost all LH jackets, going back to TS, especially in the drapy fabrics she suggests. I have started to add 3/8" to the facing length to compensate, but will also try your stitch lengthening technique.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (2/1/05 7:50 AM) Reply
I love that the softer tailoring and your choice of fabric will allow the jacket to assume the shape of the wearer. I think it looks very professional, but not 'uptight'. Perfect for most business situations nowadays!
Gigi Louis said... (2/1/05 7:49 AM) Reply
cindyann said... (2/1/05 7:28 AM) Reply
That is so pretty! Thanks for the great review.
tigger said... (1/31/05 11:55 PM) Reply
The jacket looks great - and the comments you gave are so helpful - especially to a beginner like me! I always look at reviews to see how hard a pattern really is and it's good to see someone review a pattern with the less experience sewer in mind! thanks!
KarenP said... (1/31/05 11:18 PM) Reply
I love it! I've had this pattern since it first came out but have yet to make it. Your review will be very helpful when I finally get to it.
PVA said... (1/31/05 9:12 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks better than the photo on the pattern! Thanks for the review & all the construction details.
Lyn B. said... (1/31/05 9:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, Diane.
Jennifer shaw said... (1/31/05 8:37 PM) Reply
Your jacket is so lovely. Thank you for the tips on the jacket!
Lisa Laree said... (1/31/05 8:08 PM) Reply
Nice looking jacket, Diane. Wouldn't you know I just purchased this pattern (after hemming and hawing over it since it came out). Don't know when I'll get around to it, but your comments on the facing stitching will help a lot! thanks!
Patti B said... (1/31/05 8:06 PM) Reply
Diane, lovely jacket as usual!

by: cherry314