|Pattern Description: |
"Men's loose-fitting, lined jacket has hood or collar, yokes, front and lower bands, flaps, pockets with VELCRO® closure, concealed zipper, snap closing, and elasticized, three-piece sleeves."
I changed this pattern a LOT to get it to look more like a designer Nigel Cabourn "Cameraman Jacket," namely nixing the zipper and using toggles and buttons, and changing the pocket size and placement, and adjusting the contrast fabric proportions.
I made my boyfriend a size 36, which fit pretty well aside for some baggy armpits and the sleeves being too short. He's slim and tall with really long arms, so I had to alter the pattern to fit.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Somewhat, but I used this pattern mostly as a base as I was aiming for something less outdoorsy.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I actually didn't use them a whole lot after I constructed the basic shell of the jacket, since I changed the whole means of construction for attaching the lining. I like my method better, to be honest, and I'll explain it a bit below.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the shape of it and the fact that it had a hood and full lining. I used the contrast fabric view and then took it over from there.
The lower part is vintage wool I received as a gift. The upper part is cotton twill from JoAnn. The lining is gray flannel from Etsy, and I interlined the whole thing with leftover ponte knit from my stash for extra warmth.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Most of my changes are outlined on my blog. I didn't talk about how I attached the lining, though, so I'll do that now:
First I cut the placket into four separate pieces, instead of the pattern's way of using two and folding them over to create the facings. I attached a placket piece to each front of the jacket shell, then attached the remaining to each side of the lining front. I put the shell and lining right sides together, and sewed it ALL the way around, leaving the bottom completely free, and a few inches free at the bottom of the plackets.
Clip where necessary, then turn right side out and press. I tacked the lining to the shell in a few places (back of neck, shoulders, armpits) so it stayed in place. From there, I tucked the lining underneath the bottom of the plackets, and pressed up the bottom band. Then I slip-stitched the band to the lining so it stayed put.
My boyfriend loves his jacket!!!
See more photos and explanation on my blog. Thanks for reading!