Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1105

About JDpenelopestarstar
Member since: 9/9/03
Posted on:2/6/05 9:58 PM
Last Updated:2/6/05 10:10 PM

See other patterns in this category: Skirts

Neana said... (2/12/05 9:09 PM) Reply

Neana said... (2/12/05 9:04 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for being honest about your goofs and specific about what you did! It helps me to hear from folks who are also experienced beginners. Sometimes it's discouraging to look at the models or drawings - we never will look like that and I'm guessing we'd be surprised at the tricks they use to look so good. Not least of which is a roll or six of film to pick through & find the very best one.
CarolynGM said... (2/8/05 3:40 PM) Reply
I know what you mean about gathers in pull-on waists. My measurements are very similar to yours, and I tend to avoid elasticized waistbands for that very reason. Still, yours likes fine with your untucked top. I wonder if a similar pattern exists with elastic in the back only.
Vivienne said... (2/7/05 11:18 AM) Reply
The funky brown boots with the conservative brown skirt is a great look. I think the size is good, but you definitely could size down if you want a tighter fit.
AnneM said... (2/7/05 10:02 AM) Reply
I expect there is a way to make the shutter delay last longer; you probably have 2 settings. The short one (typically 2 seconds) is just to keep the camera from moving. The longer one (typically 10 seconds) is for self-portraits. Anyway, I love your skirt! I think the back view is very good, & I like the "in motion" shot. The fabric looks so nice. Although you could have a closer fit, I don't think there is anything wrong with this classic look. (P.S. I like your assistant.)
Modiste Madness said... (2/7/05 9:11 AM) Reply
We are always are own worst critic aren't we? If you really want to make it again I would take everyones' advice and make the S. You might also ant to transfer a shorter version of the dart to the front to eliminate some of the waist line bulk. Be careful thought. Take too much in and it will be difficult to get on.
JDpenelope said... (2/7/05 6:45 AM) Reply
These comments are so helpful and encouraging. I could kick myself, now, for not being more careful with my fitting. Regarding the rear view, I should have taken a side angle photo...that would have illustrated the problem better. Anyway, you all are too kind. Georgene I will make a project of scanning reviews and pattern sources for more appropriate patterns. Not sure the bias skirt I had in mind will actually flatter my flat(ter) back side. Gabrielle, I actually got the boots in Italy a few years ago, when the exchange rate was very favorable. I'm not a fashion maven at all (more like a candidate for What Not to Wear--am working to correct that with help from this site!), but those boots were irresistible.
gabrielle said... (2/7/05 1:49 AM) Reply
I like that length and style on you a lot, Penelope--I too agree you could go down a size. And I absolutely love those boots!
PVA said... (2/6/05 11:36 PM) Reply
I like your skirt, Penelope, but I do agree that you don't really need that much fabric to get the skirt over your hips. Thanks for the review -- I do plan to make that one some day. . . .
Diane E said... (2/6/05 10:42 PM) Reply
Penelope, your skirt is very pretty and I think it hangs nicely. I do agree that a closer fit would be better for you. You and I have the same measurements and I've made the S successfully. If you're at all nervous about the smaller size, just know that you can cut the M and take in the skirt until you're happier with the fit (duh, I know). Also, I'm becoming more and more convinced that pullons aren't all that "slimming" for those of us whose waists are quite a bit smaller than our bums. There will always be gathers at the waist, unless the fabric has enough give to help us wiggle into the skirt. The bunchie stuff at the waist makes it hard to have a slim line with an untucked top on top. By the way, I think your back view looks very nice and not at all objectionable!
PegL said... (2/6/05 10:26 PM) Reply
Penelope, lovely skirt but I agree with Patti B -- I think you need a smaller size.
Patti B said... (2/6/05 10:13 PM) Reply
Penelope, I've made this skirt several times and have an 11 inch difference between hips and waist. I don't have ther gathering you do and I wonder if you perhaps need a smaller size? (always music to our ears)
Georgene said... (2/6/05 10:08 PM) Reply
Penelope, you are right, there seems to be way too much fabric in that waistband. No way that it could be slimming. I'm not sure that I would call the rear view 'objectionable'! With a long top over it, it looks fine. I'm sure you can find the right pull on skirt shape for your body. Perhaps other members will have pattern suggestions. Meanwhile you are honing your sewing skills and got good results according to the pattern you used.

Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern