Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 1025 (BaseWearTwo)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:2/8/05 9:11 AM
Last Updated:2/8/05 9:12 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts

Danvillegirl said... (2/9/05 6:38 PM) Reply
This pattern now intrigues me after your review. I have lots of fitting issues with KS knit tops though I keep trying to get a better fit. I have looked at this pattern for sometime and have made a jacket and skirt from CJ's patterns. I like the look of both of your tops and will be adding this one to my wishlist.
Diane E said... (2/9/05 8:49 AM) Reply
Lisa, you look wonderful in your tops. Your neckband idea was really smart. I have been getting more and more picky about the turn and stitch necklines, and that's a terrific solution. What pretty colors in the fabric. I agree though, panne velvet is a pain to work with and slips and slides all over the machine while you're trying to sew it. Thanks for all your observations about this pattern!
Lisa Laree said... (2/9/05 7:42 AM) Reply
Thank you everybody! Moushka, believe it or not, I've had a killer sinus infection for the past week and have been sewing because I didn't feel good enough to do anything else ;) Got some antibiotic yesterday, though, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to return to the real world soon. BTW, DD took the top with the sleeves...even though she grumbled that it wasn't exactly what she wanted :rolleyes:
ryan's mom said... (2/9/05 6:05 AM) Reply
What a great fit and gorgeous print. It looks terrific on you!
moushka said... (2/9/05 5:40 AM) Reply
Lisa, very pretty tops. Your output is amazing! Do you have any hints for getting so much sewing accomplished? I'd be happy achieving a quarter of your output :-)
Kathy Russell said... (2/9/05 0:02 AM) Reply
Both tops came out really nice and i love your fabric, even if it was a bear to work with.
Amanda L said... (2/8/05 9:23 PM) Reply
I just got this pattern and really appreciate your observations. Plus your top looks great!
Ann Smith said... (2/8/05 1:43 PM) Reply
Great review with lots of information for us (and cute tops too!).
Levone said... (2/8/05 1:09 PM) Reply
Both tops look great on you.
MaryBeth said... (2/8/05 12:02 PM) Reply
Lisa: I logged on early this morning and couldn't get your pictures to come up so I'm glad they're working now. I've not tried CJ patterns and had been wondering...anyway, keep the turtleneck!!!! It's so you!
jlg said... (2/8/05 11:48 AM) Reply
Lisa, your tops are beautiful and very becoming - fit you great. Also, loved the review.
PVA said... (2/8/05 10:19 AM) Reply
Lisa, you deserve a BIG scoop of your favorite ice cream with your humble pie! Both tops are wonderful, & I thank you for the review! (I also thank you for the heads up about the fabric -- It's beautiful, but I'll pass!)
Georgene said... (2/8/05 10:06 AM) Reply
In most RTW knits the back and front are the same on body and sleeve. CJ is using RTW techniques for her own line of carefully chosen fabrics. I am mystified by the big seam allowance tho....maybe not everyone has a serger? In any case your top came out wonderful, and it would be a shame for it to migrate to your DD's closet permanently. Maybe she can borrow it if she's very good?
Nickle said... (2/8/05 9:35 AM) Reply
The fabric may of been a pain to work with, but it is so pretty. Your tops look fantastic on you. OOPS- accidently posted twice.
Mini said... (2/8/05 9:34 AM) Reply
Thanks for a helpful comparison. I have wondered about the Base Wear patterns, but haven't tried one. I get good results with KS and they have all the styles I could ever want, so I think I will stick with them:). I agree about the panne velvet too. It's a pain to work with, but at least it does hide a lot of fit problems.
Nickle said... (2/8/05 9:34 AM) Reply
That fabric may of been a pain to work with but it is so pretty- your tops look fantastic on you.