Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2217 (Misses' Amazing Fit Dresses)

Reviewed by:JillRN1995

Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Type:Dresses
Fabric:Satin  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Dress with pleated surplice bodice and midriff band. Pattern offers A, B, C, and D cup options.

Pattern Sizing: 6 to 24. I mostly used size 20 with a D cup bodice.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except I made it full length with a contrasting bodice.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that the pattern had D cup pattern pieces, but I had to add 1 inch in length to the front bodice so that it would curve under my bust. I did this by taping tissue to the bodice midriff seam, and then I folded the pleats before I added the length. I found that more ease needed to be added to the sleeve cap. I would guesstimate that the manufacturer had 1/2 to 3/4" built in. Next time I make this pattern I will slash and spread to increase the ease a bit.

Fabric Used: I used a metallic brocade for the bodice and sleeves, and polyester Duchess satin for the midriff and skirt. I underlined with organza and I used bemberg lining for the bodice, midriff, and sleeves.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I lengthened the front bodice 1 inch. I tapered the sleeves a smidge.

Would you sew it again? Yes. I plan to make a cocktail dress. Would you recommend it to others? yes

Conclusion: I had given up on commercial patterns, because I couldn't get them to fit my bust. I will try another one since I had success with this pattern.

canei said... (1/23/16 8:43 PM) Reply
Nice!
jlg said... (1/23/16 1:40 PM) Reply
Great dress that is beautiful on you!
JillRN1995 said... (1/23/16 10:49 AM) Reply
I'm making this dress again, and I happened upon this old review. I noticed that the links to my pictures were not functioning, so I corrected that. I'll post pictures of my new dress with an updated review in about a week.
pamyjo2001 said... (1/23/16 10:49 AM) Reply
beautiful
CBLSEWS said... (7/5/13 3:10 PM) Reply
It looks really good on you! You did a great job.
kcshocker said... (5/24/13 11:02 PM) Reply
Here is where I read that patterns are drafted for a B cup (it also has another FBA tutorial): http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2008/05/full-bust-alterations-or-adjustments-fba/
kcshocker said... (5/24/13 10:58 PM) Reply
I read recently that most commercial patterns are drafted for a B cup! Really, a B cup? Full-bust adjustments are almost always needed. Here's a good tutorial for us newbies: http://www.coletterie.com/sewalongs/anise-sew-along-full-bust-adjustment
LibraDragon64 said... (5/22/13 4:06 AM) Reply
Looks lovely. Very flattering and elegant.
norie creates said... (1/30/13 10:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress!
JillRN1995 said... (1/28/13 8:49 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone!
ChristmasHills said... (1/27/13 2:57 AM) Reply
That is one gorgeous dress.
RadarRadiance said... (1/26/13 7:20 PM) Reply
You got a beautiful fit with this one, it looks very elegant on you!
jlg said... (1/26/13 7:17 PM) Reply
Gorgeous on you. I have also been pleased with the Amazing Fit patterns.
RLL said... (1/26/13 5:00 PM) Reply
Beautiful. Love that you used the contrast fabric in the bodice.
prostheticsgirl said... (1/26/13 2:27 PM) Reply
Looks nice! I like your contrast fabric