Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|BurdaStyle Magazine: 02-2013-135 (Bow Shirt) - Type:Tops |
|Viewed 243 times
||1 more reviews|
Review rated Helpful
by 1 people Very Helpful
by 7 people
|About Heatherrique |
|Member since: 6/27/06 |
|Reviews written: 285|
|Favored by: 99 people|
|patterns reviewed: 285|
|Posted on:||2/7/13 0:43 AM |
More Info provided by Heatherrique
|NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue|
|Fabric:||Polyester Woven [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
A top with neckline and wrist bands an an attached bow.
Burda Misses' 36-38-40-42-44. I sewed a 38 at the shoulders and a 40 elsewhere.
First version: Polyester jacquard and a striped cotton woven for the neckline both remnants of a cowl dress made from the January 2013 Burda Style (pattern #123) dress with the draped neckline.
Second version: "Tuscany wide faille teal, 100% polyester" from fabric.com and for binding the neckline and wrists, remnant of the black knit dress made also with the January 2013 Burda Style #123 dress pattern.
I like the bow embellishment and the bound neckline and wrist edges. I am not quite sure about the dart at the sleeve head where it was supposed to align with the shoulder seam. I experienced a somewhat loose fit at the sides. Maybe the top was meant to be "tucked in".
They were satisfactory. The only thing that seemed questionable was the procedure to bind the neckline: "Pin bias strip to neck edge, with wrong side facing right side, matching seam to one shoulder seam. Edgestitch edges in place." The "wrong side facing right side" puzzled me. I did not follow the procedure to attach the bias neckline. I attached the right or visible side of the binding to the wrong side, turned it to the outside with 1/4" of the raw edge turned under and top-stitched near the lower edge.
I used the neck facings for the first version, but not for the second version. The bias neckline could be opted out in favor of the facings. I found that the facings added more stability prior to the binding with bias strips since I used a slightly translucent and lightweight polyester jacquard (which had a tendency to unravel at the raw edges) for my first version. I omitted the facings for the top with the teal polyester faille to avoid bulk while using a knit binding.
I made adjustments from the original specified lengths of the bias strips to finish the neckline and wrists. It seems that the widths for the neckline had not yet included the seam allowances. For a better allowance, I used 4 cm width ("2 cm incl allowance" meant 2 cm and the allowance) for the strips. I did not use the full 25 1/2 inches for both tops. For instance, I used 20 inches of the knit binding strip (cut on the cross-grain) for the neckline of the second top. I cut a fabric strip after I encircled the neckline with it, including 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch of negative ease and a 1/4 inch center back seam allowance. I did the same for the sleeve wrists with their seams to be aligned with the sleeve seams. Then I stretched a tad as I stitched the strips to the edges(correct side of fabric strip to wrong side of neckline). The lengths of the bias strips to finish the neckline rely on the characteristics of the fabric being used.
*Petite adjustment of 1" at waistline
*Took in the upper back 3/8" from the center, tapering to 0" above the waistline.
* Omitted the side vents
*Finished the neckline as described earlier
*Shortened the tie bands to a desired length from 85 cm or 33 1/2 inches, which seemed excessively long.
*I am still indecisive as to whether to keep the "longer" or the "shorter" bow.
"Shorter" bow on second version
Putting aside the little extra time to figure out the lengths and widths of the bands corresponding to the neckline and wrist circumferences, this pattern is fairly easy to sew. This has a potential to be nice basic top with or without sleeves and with neckline variations (with or without band).
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment