Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 11-2011-120 (Dress)

Reviewed by:ManiMayor

About ManiMayorstar
Member since: 10/5/09
Posted on:2/7/13 1:22 PM
Last Updated:2/7/13 1:24 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

ManiMayor said... (2/12/13 1:41 PM) Reply
Thanks so much ladies for your kind comments! I have decided to give this dress a fair chance by actually wearing it a couple of times before giving up on it. Thanks for helping me to stretch my horizons!
tiadia said... (2/11/13 6:49 PM) Reply
I really like this dress, ruffles and all, but I know what you mean about taking the time to make it up perfectly and then realizing it's really not your cup of tea! That's the down side to sewing instead of trying it on before you spend all that time making it. But I love your tweed version! I love tweed, and it makes this dress a little less "ruffly", if you know what I mean. It's gorgeous!
Levone said... (2/9/13 12:29 PM) Reply
Lovely dress!
lamstu said... (2/8/13 10:27 PM) Reply
I actually love this dress and love it on you. Maybe if you wear it a few times, you'll feel more comfortable? I'd never have thought to make this from the wool, but now I might have to copy you. Although, I'm not really a ruffles kind of girl myself.... And I have this experience almost every year for 40 years of sewing. It's good - it means that you're stretching your horizons!
Pamela R said... (2/8/13 10:50 AM) Reply
I think that the dress looks great on you,but,if you are troubled by the ruffle, take the part around the neck off, or cut it way down. First start by folding it inside to see if that will satisfy you.
becca a said... (2/8/13 10:05 AM) Reply
The dress is very pretty. It is such a disappointment to put all that work into making something and then not to be happy with the result. It has happened to me so many times. It is really hard to know what you will like before you try it on, so when you try a new style that looks lovely in pictures it can be a surprise to see how it actually feels when you put it on.
KathleenS said... (2/8/13 4:44 AM) Reply
Yes, that's happened to me. It's a great dress though, I'm sure someone will be excited to find it at the charity shop.
Jrhee said... (2/8/13 1:29 AM) Reply
Oh, I hope you haven't given it away yet. Even though you say it is not your style, you sewed it beautifully and it looks great on you!
beauturbo said... (2/7/13 11:55 PM) Reply
I actually like it a lot, and think the ruffles look really nice on you. But yes, I think everyone has made something that even if it turned out just like it was supposed to, sometimes later you decide just the style or such is not for you. I wonder what would happen if instead of having ruffles almost all the way down the font of it, if you only left just the ones around the neckline? That would be way less ruffles that way, even though I still think it looks very good on you, just as is even right now.
SewWil said... (2/7/13 10:52 PM) Reply
Pretty dress! Sorry your were disappointed with it. I think it looks very nice on you.
21wale said... (2/7/13 10:28 PM) Reply
I feel the same way about ruffles on myself, however the dress is really beautiful and looks lovely on you.
lillydee said... (2/7/13 7:21 PM) Reply
i like might take a while to grow on you, give it the chance. You look great in it.
nicegirl said... (2/7/13 3:05 PM) Reply
This came out great--so sad you don't love it! And thanks for the idea about the lining. I am planning another version of this that will need to be lined and I had been trying to figure out the front lining. A scoop neckline attached at the shoulders and armscye but free floating at the neckline makes perfect sense.
KensingtonCrab said... (2/7/13 2:39 PM) Reply