Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Burda: 7735 (Coat, jacket) - Type:Coat/Jacket |
|Viewed 259 times
||3 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 12 people
|About MNBarb |
|Member since: 4/3/10 |
|Reviews written: 122|
|Favored by: 61 people|
|patterns reviewed: 113|
|Posted on:||2/9/13 1:30 PM |
Burda Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket |
|Fabric:||Silk Twill [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: Coat/jacket/hoodie pattern with three views. View A is lined and falls at mid-thigh, has shoulder princess seams, yoke, large patch pockets with flaps at hip, rounded notched collar with collar band, very wide three-button cuffs and tab belt in back.|
View B is a motorcycle-style jacket that falls at hip level.
View C is short-sleeved, zip front hoodie with band at waist.
I made View A.
Pattern Sizing: 32-44. I made size 38.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? My pattern didn't show a back view so it was a nice surprise to find the back tab belt. The front looks the same.
Were the instructions easy to follow? They forgot to tell you to make or attach the belt but the other directions were clear and included adequate visuals.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
-More shapely than your basic trench coat.
-All rounded corners; pockets and lapels
- Three button cuff detail
-Slimming lines of the back
-Almost no fitting issues.
-Lining pattern included.
Fabric Used: Matte black silk twill fashion fabric and purple paisley silk charmeuse for the lining, both from Mood Fabrics online. Gutermann silk thread for topstitching. lined pockets and pocket flaps with black linen.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Minor fitting changes:
-Lowered bust point .24 inch.
-Forward shoulder adjustment, about .75 inch.
-Narrow back and swayback adjustments.
-Made slightly smaller above the bust in princess seam.
-Shortened sleeve and cuff about .25 inch each.
I used Jackets for Real People and several other tailoring books and online resources, as recommended by Nancy2001 to:
-Make my own shoulder pads and sleeve heads
-Choose the appropriate weight of fusible stabilizer (I like Fashion Sewing Supply as source for this)
-Learn new construction techniques including bound buttonholes. These were my first. After a weekend of practice I found my own method (scroll through nine photos of process.
-Bagged the lining using directions and photos from Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing book.
-Eliminated second row of buttons as I read recently that double-breasted makes block-shaped women look wider in the middle.
Conclusion: Much thought went into this coat. I have to thank all of the sewists who helped me fit my muslin. Thanks to NancyK for the marvelous lining advice and the suggestion she gave to go slow and take one step at a time. Kudos Nancy2001 for information on resources. This is the most complicated sewing project I've tackled. It built my confidence greatly but did seem to take forever to complete. I'm very happy with my acheivement.
I had the garment "parts" placed on an Olfa cutting board that traveled from kitchen to bedroom to dining table, etc depending on what work space was needed. I was really getting the stink-eye from my family. We might need to throw a "coat is done" party! I made this as a travel coat but didn't realize how many miles it would clock before completion.
Back view on me.
I can't imagine why you would want to look at 10,000 photos of my coat but if you do they are here.
PS. Thanks to Chenille and Cleverkitty for moral support!
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment