Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Butterick: 5455 (& FrankenPattern of Vogue 8725) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 152 times
||19 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 2 people
|About prostheticsgirl |
|Member since: 3/6/12 |
|Reviews written: 12|
|Favored by: 5 people|
|patterns reviewed: 12|
|Posted on:||2/15/13 7:05 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/15/13 7:29 PM|
Butterick Pattern Info
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses |
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
This is a redo of a 1950's vintage dress for my friend's 50's themed wedding (which I'll also be officiating). The fabric was so amazing on the original dress that I had to have it. The original dress fit was so off though, that it was a total redo.
Gorgeous vintage silk brocade in a rose pattern, and silk habotai reclaimed from the original dress. Underlined with lighweight poly/cotton broadcloth for strength, support, and wrinkle resistance on the antique fabric. Broadcloth instead of organza also for potential glistening absorption, because ladies don't sweat, we glisten!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
NO!!! But the original patterns are not to blame. I love the skirt and back of the dress, but the front bodice is just wrong in quite a few areas. The original bodice had trimmed french darts, so I was very limited in what I could do. I'm also not in love with the front contours of the neckline and armholes; to me they just seem slightly off. It's not obvious on the hanger, and I know it's just me being hyper-picky.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I was really happy with Butterick 5455 so I used that for the back of the dress (an just slightly concaved the back V neckline). The only pattern that I had with a waist seam and french darts was Vogue 8725 so I used it as a starting point for drafting my own. This picture really shows how much change was required for the bodice to even remotely fit. Here's the skirt
I made bias binding for the neckline and added self fabric lingerie carriers. The original dress had a vent on the fashion fabric and the lining was free hanging and finished as a slit. It wasn't as bulky as joining the pieces so this is now my go-to technique for lined dresses. Much easier too!
I finally started a sewing BLOG for this project and you can view the full process including inspirations, construction, and frustrations there. After the wedding, I'll post pics of me wearing it!
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment