Pattern Description: Tie neck blouse with saddle shoulders and a CF godet.
Pattern Sizing: 44-52 I made a straight 44 - my normal Burda sizing for my narrow shoulders. But it's too tight across the back and the sleeves were way too narrow across the bicep.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I fell in love with this as soon as I saw it and I made it as soon as I'd finished my current project.
Fabric Used: Polyester chiffon with a very open weave. This is sari fabric and I took advantage of the borders and used the feature end for the collar/ties.
Its a horrible fabric to sew, mostly because the weave is quite loose and it won't hold a fold. I'd intended to finished the seams by folding one SA over both raw edges but it couldn't do it. Mostly I did a row of zigzag near the seam then trimmed with pinking shears. I was extremely happy I didn't have to narrow hem this (all the hems are selveges).
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
* 1.5cm FBA (my normal adjustment)
* I'd added 1cm to the bicep when cutting but I still had to use a narrow seam allowance for the sleeves to fit.
* The godet flared outwards unattractively at first. I pressed the seam inwards and top stitched so it sits like a pleat now.
* I made the sleeves full length. I had intended to pleat the sleeves into the cuffs (I'm not a big fan of gathers at either end of a sleeve). But the disapointing fit made it not worth another sewing session.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? The picture make this look like a very loose blouse, but it isn't at all. The back and the bicep are narrow and there isn't huge amounts of fabric below the bust. I really struggle to get in and out of it. I also think it would look better in a "slinky" fabric rather than "floaty", like a lightweight microfibre.
I probably won't make this again, I'll have to see how much I wear this one.
Conclusion: Most of my "intentions" for this project failed....
1)Where's my floaty summer top, this needs a camisole and the final look belongs in my winter wardrobe.
2)The chiffon seemed to have a fine and soft hand, but its a bit stiff and almost scratchy to wear.
3)This was a trial before cutting into a lovely cotton viole in my stash - but its totally wrong style for that fabric.
But the blouse is not a failure, just different from what I expected.