Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Serendipity Studio: 94 (The Juliet Tunic) - Type:Tops |
|Viewed 174 times
||2 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 4 people
|About amandajewls |
|Member since: 12/18/10 |
|Reviews written: 6|
|Favored by: 3 people|
|patterns reviewed: 6|
|Posted on:||2/15/13 5:58 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/8/14 1:45 AM|
More Info provided by amandajewls
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|Fabric:||Voile [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: The Juliet Tunic is an easy to sew little frock that can be romantic or modern, maybe even a little of both! This design features a bust enhancing gathered bodice with a scoop neckline, Empire waist, and close fitting A-line skirt with optional ties, ruffles, and hem bands. Featured in three lengths, this design can be worn with pants or as a flirty dress. This tunic is a perfect layering piece for all seasons that looks great all by itself or with a fun cropped jacket. The pattern includes instructions for all variations shown along with alteration and fitting tips to produce a flattering fit for all sizes and body types. [From manufacture envelope]|
Pattern Sizing:XXS - XXL
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Everything was clearly notched and matched up. I preferred to trace the pattern rather than cut out. There were many different suggestions for variation in the instructions. For the A-line skirt/tunic bottom, there is only about 1 inch ease so if you are right on the measurements, go up to the next size or add required room at the bottom of the pattern piece and redraw the side lines.
Fabric Used:Top is a cotton voile. The bottom section is just cheap polyester drill. I wanted to make this first one cheap as possible as a workable muslin.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Top: The Neckline and bust line part of pattern
Modification 1: Added 1.5 inches to front top piece for the length.
Modification 2: Added Bust dart on side of FRONT TOP.
I used the XL. My bust is ample so usually find that empire waistlines end mid bust - not a good look. So I took careful measurements of how long that top piece should be from shoulder to bottom of MY bust line and had to add another 1.5 inch TO THE FRONT TOP PIECE.
I then redrew the bottom line of the pattern following the original lines, but everything moved down 1.5 inches. This would make the side seam much longer than the back - so I inserted a bust dart under the arm pits on the front piece to take in the additional fabric so that the Front top piece would match the Back top piece on the side seams perfectly.
Bottom: Lower tunic skirt piece
I did not modify the bottom piece at all. The skirt comes in just a little below my pot belly som to compensate, I will need to make the tunic hemline a little shorter, or turn side seams into split/open sides to allow for stretch. Next time I will make the bottom hem line of the tunic skirt piece wider by 2 inches to make a more exaggerated A line.
This shirt screams for you to go totally wild with matching different prints and colours. I added a pretty trim that doesn't totally match the top print perfectly, to cover the seam where the top and skirt pieces are seamed After I had it pieced together, it didn't matter that the trim didn't match perfectly - just made the top funkier! I bought enough trim to add a second round just above the hemline for balance.
Important to put all trim sewn on FIRST before you put the invisible zipper on.
1. I will widen the bottom part of the tunic skirt so that it hides my belly!
2. Make top have less fabric to gather in front. After you gather it all up, and the ironing wears off, that gathering gets a bit rumpled on a big bust!
3. Mix and match more prints.
4. Try putting a softer zipper on the side seam (easier to access!)
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I totally recommend this pattern to anyone who is totally shapeless to voluptuous! I am a curvy, voluptuous figure and, because I took the time to make sure that the empire waistline fits where it should (and there is enough room up front for the bust), this looks great on me! I have made this pattern twice more! The gathering on the top would also hide a more modest bust line too, and an empire waistline always adds illusion of curves nicely. (A-line skirts HIDE curves nicely too!)
Do not be afraid to modify the existing pattern. The basic pattern is very simple, using gathering for shaping rather than darts.
I would suggest to NOT do the facings (which have to be tacked down by hand when you're finished!) and just make your own bias tape out of one of the fabrics you're using instead. Much neater and easier!
How to make Bias Tape Tutorial
The bottom part of the tunic runs neat to the body, so if you want it wider, compensate by making the bottom hemline wider. Keep side seams straight though. Also - you can just lengthen the existing skirt keeping the slope of the A-line going to adjust this pattern into a dress easily!
Add trim, use contrasting prints and colours. Have a LOT of fun with this pattern. Even though it's a very unique shirt, you can change the overall look drastically by changing pattern and colour pallete. A wardrobe will support multiples of this shirt easily!
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment