Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 519 (Swing Jacket)

Reviewed by:petra

About petrastarstar
NH USA
Member since: 6/20/03
Posted on:2/20/05 9:20 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Mojotee said... (2/21/07 4:25 PM) Reply
2 years later, your review is still helping others. I've carefully noted the problems you described. I just ordered this pattern and your review convinced me to sew a muslin first. Thanks.
kellyt said... (2/21/05 8:37 AM) Reply
Don't give up. I think your jacket has potential! The fabric is very pretty and that color looks great on you! I would definately try shoulder pads and fiddle a little.
Kathryn said... (2/21/05 6:55 AM) Reply
I have made this jacket twice, once in a sweater knit, which fits beautifully, and which I love, and the second time in a felted wool. I made them both in the same week, with exactly the same pattern, no changes. The sweater knit, as I said, fits beautifully. I wear it quite often, and get tons of compliments on it. The felted wool was a nightmare! The fit was awful through the shoulders and upper sleeves. Turns out that the sleeve cap area was waaay too low for the firmer fabric. As soon as I altered the shape of the top of the sleeve (making it higher and narrower), the fit was much improved, and the altered jacket looked and felt great. So I wouldn't give up on the jacket, especially with the $$$ that you put into the fabric. I agree with Irina, try shoulder pads first, and if that doesn't work, fiddle with recutting the head of the sleeves in a different shape--more of the shape of a set-in sleeve in a jacket. Good luck!
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/21/05 6:39 AM) Reply
Thanks for a very informative review. I thought I was the only one who is unimpressed by CJ's patterns. I ended up giving my copy of this coat away after making a muslin that had many of the same issues that you found. -Ann
CarolynGM said... (2/21/05 6:03 AM) Reply
The front view looks quite nice, so it's too bad the pattern didn't work for you. As for the back, in addition to the sleeves being too big, it looks like the armholes could be lower. I have sloping shoulders and often have this same problem in back. Have you tried shoulder pads?
AnneM said... (2/21/05 4:34 AM) Reply
Well, "awful" might be an overstatement on the back view, although it certainly isn't as good as the front view!
drsue said... (2/20/05 10:49 PM) Reply
Hmmm, interesting review. Given your obvious sewing skills this must the a problem with the pattern. I wouldn't have thought that this type of style would have such problems.

Understanding Wool Fabrics