Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|BurdaStyle Magazine: 03-2013-110 (Boucle dress) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 280 times
||3 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 11 people
|About arianamaniacs |
|Member since: 6/11/04 |
|Reviews written: 154|
|Favored by: 39 people|
|patterns reviewed: 147|
|Posted on:||3/3/13 11:01 AM |
|Last Updated:||3/3/13 6:44 PM|
More Info provided by arianamaniacs
|NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue|
|Fabric:||Boucle [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
Spring short-sleeved dress with slanted darts covered with gros-grain ribbon.
I sewed size 44. I am US 14, UK 14/16, DE 44
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
- Loved the look of the covered darts. I think I was sold on the picture too, because I really liked their choice of fabric.
- The slanted darts are a subtle, but attractive feature.
- I would have liked to see pockets on such a spring dress.
- I find the darts too long.
- Not to offer lining for a dress where they recommend boucle fabric just seems wrong.
- Be wary how open and wide the neck is. I was afraid it would either show my bra straps or even slip off my shoulders. I added more width towards the neck on account of this.
Boucle. I didnt get it lined up very well so its off grain>
My loose weave is very stretchy which made it a pain to work with because all the pieces would distort and lose their shape. I had to line mine to give it some more body.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I drafted simple pockets. No dress is complete without pockets, I find.
- I fully lined mine with beautiful floral lining that reminds me of monet. Its springy on the outside and inside.
- Sway-back adjustment.
- Short-waist adjustment. My back photo tells me that I need to raise the waist in the back a little more though.
- Small-bust adjustment at front darts. I took too much out though, so I'll have to open them back up a little.
- Originally I had put in the sleeves, but they didn't fit. The sleeve seam was way out on my arms, so it blocked any forward movement. Since I didn't have any fabric left, I removed the sleeves and finished the arms with bias tape.
Time: The length of a bible! I started this in the first week of February. With all those darts (in lining too) and covering the darts took a lot of time. Especially since I hate sewing darts. There was a lot of fiddling due to my cutting this off-grain.
Frustration level: Not too bad, but I started losing interest in the fabric half-way through which also explains my slowness at completing this project. It was hard to get the boucle to line up with my lining after it was skewed and stretched out from handling.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will sew it again, this was my muslin (even though it was a bit expensive for that)
I'm pretty pleased with the dress despite all the problems I had. I think I'll try it again and fix the sleeve problem.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment