Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 5457

Simplicity: 5457 by Sybella
Pattern Photo:Simplicity 5457
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Fabric:Taffeta  [See other projects in this fabric]
Size made: 6

I originally made this for Halloween a long time back. (Probably 2006) I only had 3 days to finish it and I had a lot of help from family members to try and get this done in a timely manner. I am not a slow sewer, but if you need this dress done in a short time than I recommend having help.

I choose to do the long sleeved version which I later regret. I consistently have a problem with sleeves in patterns they are always too short and too tight no matter how many times I adjust the pattern. I ultimately did not end up wearing the top of the costume, in fact I couldn't even tell you what happened to it. I opted to wear this with a corset and a shrug I had and it looked better in my opinion.

The skirt is just lovely!!!

Now that some time has passed; a little note on storing. You will want to take it out of the closet and poof up the bustle every now and again. The photo I have above is what happened to it after it sat in the closet for 2 years. When I first made this I really didn't even need the bustle pillow to make it look authentic. (sadly I have lost the pillow as well as the top)

I saved this pattern to make again later. If I ever have a need or desire to make another 1880's bustle dress, I will do this again!

Overall:: Great pattern, if I had it still I would LOVE to use it again. If you are simply trying to make a bustled skirt than there are MUCH easier ways to go about it than this pattern. It would recommend it to someone with a experience and time. It's great for a stage costume! I still get a lot of compliments on it when I show it off.

caper81 said... (2/26/13 10:05 AM) Reply
I tried clicking on your project photo but it says "photo removed". :( Looks great in the thumbnail :)

by: JudyCook