Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4490 (Medieval Costumes)

Reviewed by:Sybella

McCall's Pattern Info

More Info provided by Sybella

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
Fabric:Velveteen  [See other projects in this fabric]
I have used this pattern several times over, every time with some kind of mod.

Size Made: 10

For this particular costume I did quite a bit to it. This was made back in 2010 and I WISH I had better pictures. As of now this costume is going under some changes to become more of a jacket.

I used 2 different fabrics for this dress, and I'll be honest I was not too happy with my colour choices. The fabric stores around me are very limiting in their selections. . .

First thing I did was I made a hood for the dress. (unfortunately it cannot be seen very well.) It is lined with the red swirly pattern with the purple velveteen on the outside.

The sleeves where changed as well. I knew I was wearing this to a party and I couldn't be bothered to roll up my sleeves anytime I wanted to reach for something. I simply followed the line of the sleeve before it "bells" and cut accordingly.

I added "corset" like ties to the front and back of the dress at the waist for a better fit.

I also made it a high-low hem. The highest point came to just below my knees and the lowest point came to the top of my heels. This made it easier on me at the party. No one was stepping on the back of the dress. Plus, Halloween is usually cold and wet where I live so it kept it out of the mud.

My biggest complaint would have to be the arm holes. I have another version of this dress that I am altering for everyday wear that is sleeveless and it fits just fine. Once you put on the gusset and sleeves on, suddenly it's way too small! I've done a few mock ups and tried different fabrics and still the same problem.

If you are going to make this I recommend playing with the arm holes a bit on a mock before completing it.

Past that, it is a great and EASY pattern that you can tinker with in so many ways!

randrox said... (10/16/15 3:46 AM) Reply
Super cool costuming! Great job on the color combos and construction.
velosewer said... (9/30/15 3:56 AM) Reply
The pictures show some really good detailing. Great fabrics used too.
prostheticsgirl said... (2/26/13 9:26 AM) Reply
I couldn't get the pictures to open and would love to see your dress. What part of Ohio are you in? I live in Columbus, and despite the size, fabric options are still very limited.
MariannaSew2Pro said... (2/26/13 8:35 AM) Reply
Well done! Yes, I can see why the droopy sleeves had to go! I don't know how witches manage to do any cooking without setting themselves alight.