Pattern Reviews> Burda Plus Fashion Magazine> 09-2003-407 (407)

Reviewed by:MaryBeth

About MaryBethstarstarstar
Member since: 1/1/03
Posted on:2/21/05 7:07 PM
Last Updated:3/3/05 8:16 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people

MaryBeth said... (2/23/05 8:01 AM) Reply
It's not a pretty story, Georgene. I perfected my pants draft by using PMB's "saved style" feature and then WG issued an new update. A bug in the defaults inside that update overrode the saved styles' settings upon opening the style. Very sad, esp since I hadn't printed out the pattern. But I "know" the shape in my head somewhat and have various versions in the closet.... It's interesting to me to try commercial patterns now to compare the shapes and needed alterations. So, maybe, it's a good thing.
Georgene said... (2/23/05 7:10 AM) Reply
Nice documentation on your review, thanks! I hope you get that 3rd pair where you want....I was wondering why you started fussing with a new pattern when your PMB draft fits?
MaryBeth said... (2/22/05 1:10 PM) Reply
Debbie: I'm a major potty rusher LOL esp if I drink tea. Invisible zip is fine w/this caveat: position the zip so that the stops are at the fold line, do NOT cut off top like I did in the brown ones. I also prefer running the elastic from the dart (or in brown pant's case) from the stitched crease line, not all the way to the zip edge. There is also a tiny error in the pattern layout: the "strich" should be running across selvedge edge, not along the fold line.
Debbie Cook said... (2/22/05 12:25 PM) Reply
MB, Thanks for the review and, as the ad goes ... nice pants! LOL! I had to dig through my Burda mags -- why oh why don't they date the Plus issues on the cover?? But I found it, finally. I'm wondering about the invisible zip ... how does it work out for ... er ... potty breaks? I would think an invis zip doesn't have as much to "hold onto" when you're zipping/unzipping more than once a day. OK, TMI, I know! ;-)
SandraB said... (2/22/05 8:10 AM) Reply
Great job on both pants Mary Beth. The brown one is closer fitting but still looks good. Your hubby sounds like mine. If I followed him, I would dress like a trollop all the time :)
cindyann said... (2/22/05 7:28 AM) Reply
Marybeth, you are very, very close to getting a perfect fit on that green pair. Nice! I was wondering about the inv. zip in the front and if it would be comfy when sitting. Thanks for mentioning it. BTW, I "forgot" the same thing on my last Burda pattern too. You saved yours much better than I did.
Tini said... (2/22/05 6:16 AM) Reply
MaryBeth, both pairs look great but I'm with you on the invisible zipper in the front. What I have done in these cases is transferring the zipper to the back of the pattern and making a flat front instead. I really love how you dealt with the missing seam allowances
Danvillegirl said... (2/22/05 5:46 AM) Reply
MaryBeth, both pants look good. The brown are a little more fitting but still look good. Really very helpful review. Is this pattern from the Burda Petite? I use to get the WOF but most of those styles are for, IMHO, for much younger figures.
MaryBeth said... (2/21/05 8:52 PM) Reply
Sherril: I can do without the zipper altogether...and I serged my side seams almost straight. There are darts in the waist for fitting. And you're certainly right about the fabric...I'm sitting here in the green ones and they are bagging out something terrible :( I've not done the euros but a fly could certainly be added. The hem width is 20.5" but, ya know, it could be tapered. These are comfortable, not couture! :)
Sherril Miller said... (2/21/05 8:47 PM) Reply
I've been wanting to sew these pants up since I got that WOF issue. Thank you for reviewing them. Just the push I needed. I think both pants turned out great. Many times the fabric alone will change the sizing. Do you think that the fabric has enough stretch to work without the zipper? Could a fly, a la LH euros be added? How wide is the hem at the size you made?