Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|McCall's: 6264 (misses dress) - Type:Plus |
|Viewed 254 times
||3 more reviews|
Review rated Helpful
by 1 people Very Helpful
by 2 people
|About magpie57 |
|Member since: 11/28/10 |
|Reviews written: 9|
|patterns reviewed: 9|
|Posted on:||2/27/13 6:50 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/27/13 10:12 PM|
|Pattern Size:||Plus-Sized |
McCall's Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Easy & Great for Beginners |
|See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew Dresses |
|Available for sale on PR: $2.24 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Nylon Knit [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: Misses pullover dress in 3 lengths. V neckline, front elastic shaping, cap sleeves, plus sized|
Pattern Sizing:6-22. I made the 18
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?If I looked like the models, it would definitely look like the pictures!
Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes, although the dress was so straightforward in construction, you hardly need them.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I think the pattern could have had a warning or two. I'll explain them in my design changes.
Fabric Used:A very stretchy slightly slippery nylon knit with no name on it. I found it in the red tags at Joann's fabrics. I took this dress to Hawaii with me and it got rolled up in a ball and crushed into a suitcase. Came out wrinkle free!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:Let's start at the beginning.
1. I chose a very large patterned fabric and didn't want to have any flowers cut in half on the front. So I tilted the pattern and cut it out on the fold. This worked absolutely fine BUT, I wish there had been a warning in the pattern to watch out for large flowers on the bust....I almost eneded up with one on each breast but not quite. Whew! I cut the back in the 2 pieces. Front warning!
2. I cut the V neck almost 1 1/2 inches less deep. I could have left it a little deeper. Because of the one piece front, I couldn't just turn the neckline as directed. So I cut a long strip of fabric about 1 1/2 inches wide and sewed it onto the neckline like a facing after the back and shoulders were sewn. Facing Trimming Turning
I folded the strip in half, wrong sides together, the long way and started sewing it onto the neckline at the point of the v and finished when I got back there. Then I trimmed the neckline and facing and turned the facing to the inside to cover the raw edges and stitched it down (top stitched with the machine) The fabric doesn't run or ravel so the two ends at the V just got some top stitching across. Worked really well.
3. I wish I had a warning about large busts because the elastic on the front didn't pull the fabric to my body in the right place. So I took off the elastic and moved the elastic cover down one whole width. I could have done it a little less. I am just a D cup so you might do a try on to see if the suggested spot for the elastic is in the correct place.
4. Watch out for the length of this dress. I am 5' 2" with shoes and I cut out the 3/4 length dress and it was as long as it needed to be for a full length dress. You can save on some fabric here if you are vertically challenged! (I always say that if my feet reach the floor when I am STANDING UP, all is well!)
5. After reading about the sleeves being a bit tight, I made a fluttery cap sleeve instead. I think I could have gone half way between what I did and their pattern piece. sleeve
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes, and YES. Even with the changes I made it was done in an evening. I thought it was quite flattering although not so much in the pictures. But that is just because I am a chunky monkey and don't look really great in anything. Back gives me some shape
Conclusion: This is a really comfortable dress and really easy to make. I think you could dress it up with a nice fabric or make a great beach cover up. It could even be a nightie. And yes, we had a wonderful time in Hawaii!
|Buy this pattern for $2.24 List Price: |$2.99 Add to Bag
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment