|Pattern Description: |
Tailored coat with fitted bodice and flared, gathered skirt with dropped waist. (OOP)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. I did not follow the full couture method, but I like Claire's patterns and instructions, as they have lots of helpful tips.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Classy. I've had this pattern a long time and finally got around to using it this year.
Not really sure. I put brocade, but it's actually a matelasse. Purchased from EOS last year. The sunlight in the picture makes it look like a coat of armor, but there is a nice black floral design. It's light weight, and I probably should have underlined with silk organza. However, I just used an interlining and then flannel-backed lining for the top and regular bemberg rayon for the skirt.
For the interlining, I used thinsulate. I know there's a big debate about whether this is dry-cleanable, but the Vogue Fabrics said it's fine as long as it's sandwiched in between layers. If things go wrong, I'll update this post. So my coat is essentially like wearing a down comforter. For the amount of fabric involved, it's not heavy, and is incredibly warm. The thinsulate also gave structure to the skirt, so while I lost the effect of the gathers on the back, I got this great silhouette.
Not only is the fabric shiny and noticeable, the coat is BIG. I feel like I should be making a grand entrance at a ball.
I had to go back and add extra interfacing (hair canvas) to the front edges, as my fusible did not do the job. Fortunately I realized this prior to making the buttonholes, but it was still painful. From now on I am spending the time to properly interface all plackets, hems, and sleeve hems! To match the quality of the rest of this garment, I should have done bound buttonholes, but they really would have been lost in the business/shininess of the fabric. It may appear that I used covered buttons, but I actually miraculously found matching buttons at Hancock's!
The interlining stops at the hem edge, and I hand-sewed the hem on top of the lining (rather than the other way around, per normal). This was my way of ensuring that everything stayed in place.
I usually am ho-hum with all the projects that I finish, as I'm conscious of the flaws, etc. It takes about 6 months before I forget about how I should have done this or that differently. However, I really loved this one right off the bat.
Now I just need to find a ball to make an entrance at.