SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login
Platinum Sponsor

Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> 136 (Children's Kimono & Vests)

2 more reviews
Viewed 116 times 
Reviewed by:material excess
Friend of PR

About material excess
Member since: 1/29/12
Reviews written: 15
Sewing skills:Intermediate
patterns reviewed: 15
Bio: more...
Report a problem with this review
Posted on:4/1/13 5:21 PM
Last Updated:7/13/14 2:26 AM
Project Photo:Folkwear: 136 by material excess

Folkwear: 136 by material excess  Folkwear: 136 by material excess  
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by material excess

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Review Rating: Very Helpful by 1 people   
Fabric:Cotton  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: A Japanese kimono with two sleeve choices for girls and boys, along with a companion quilted vest that is a snap to make from pre-quilted fabric. Pattern also includes instructions for a diamond stitch knitted version of vest and information about authentic detailing, including making and tying an obi sash.

Pattern Sizing: 2T - 10

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?: Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that it gave a little bit of cultural context. An Obi tying diagram would have been nice.

Fabric Used: Cotton print - Japanese crane, fan and floral diagonal stripe for yukata. Upholstry jaquard for the obi. 2014 Update: Tje kid GREW. And up, not sideways! She fell in love with some different fabric too, so a new yukata it was - a floral 100% cotton weave. The original obi came out too short anyway, so I lengthened it with a softer jaquard. It made for a much nicer bow.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: The fabric print had an obvious diagonal stripe. I thought that cutting the front in two pieces as given would destroy it, so I taped the center front to the side front and cut them as one. This, however meant that I could not then cut the front and back as a continous piece and still get the back on the fold. To fix this, I cut them separately and added a shoulder seam. I also got lazy and finished the seams by overcasting with a zig-zag stitch.

2014 Update: I should have read my own review. Spent WAY too much time trying to cut the two front pieces AND the back piece as one. Not possible unless you are willing to put a center seam in the back. That wan't real desireable with this pattern, so I went with the less obtrusive shoulder seam.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes and yes. 2014 Update: Yes, I did both.
Conclusion: Very nice, very simple pattern with detailed instructions.

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas

<< Previous      Next >>
2 Comments      Login to Add a Comment
material excess said...
Finally got that larger picture!
7/13/14 2:30 AM
Aroura said...
Cute, I would love to see a larger picture!
4/1/13 10:08 PM
adv. search»
pattern | machine | member
Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

HotPatterns 1143

by: michellep7...

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

More Info
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

More Info