Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Deja Vu Wrap (Deja Vu Wrap)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:3/6/05 11:46 PM
Last Updated:3/7/05 5:15 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

theresa hebert said... (12/1/09 7:46 PM) Reply
need plus size pattern
Carol Lay said... (11/22/08 8:55 AM) Reply
I made this jacket / wrap. It was easy to make. However, since I am only 5'2", the length & volume of fabric is just too much for me.
Sewphie said... (2/25/06 1:49 AM) Reply
Ann, I was happy to see that you had written a review on this pattern. I just received the pattern in the mail (Sewing Workshop has a sale on some of their patterns this month, and this one is now $12! I am looking forward to making it up -- seems elegant and cozy at the same time!
marigold said... (3/8/05 12:26 PM) Reply
ann, the sewing workshop should pay you to be their model! you make the make amazing garments and always look so unbelievably glamorous.
Annette H said... (3/8/05 5:00 AM) Reply
Thanks for your album! Truly inspiring.
silversewist said... (3/7/05 11:51 PM) Reply
I, too, was at the Puyallup Sewing Expo and saw a couple of versions of the wrap. The one in an ethnic-style striped fabric that they showed in Linda Lee's fashion show was a knockout! I would never have thought of stripes for this pattern, but it worked. If one's body can carry off the amount of fabric, drape, and drama in this garment (and it looks great on Ann!), this pattern is a keeper. (Review of Expo coming - 18 classes, 6 fashion shows, and I'm still in a daze.)
Jennifer shaw said... (3/7/05 7:39 PM) Reply
Another winning and stunning piece! I always find your sewing reviews enticing and inspiring. Thanks for yet another great review. I agree with Lyn B. - I fear that I will end up adding to a rather large and overwhelming pattern stash. :)
Alene said... (3/7/05 6:47 PM) Reply
I went to the sewing expo in Puyallup last weeked and while I was in the Sewing Workshop booth looking through the rack of garmets made up from SW patterns someone asked if the Deja Vu coat was a shorted version of the Cocoon Coat. The woman working in the booth (not Linda Lee) said that yes it was and that with the popularity of ponchos they reissued it. She said it had the look of a poncho with a bit more detail. Ann you are so fashion forward and always a great inspiration!
Ann Smith said... (3/7/05 5:18 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoyed looking through my albums. Mai, you are right. Mine has welt pockets. I edited the review to mention that difference.
CatherineN said... (3/7/05 1:52 PM) Reply
Something is so different about your puotos....you are always smiling and wearing shoes. Like Mary Beth, I like to look at your site.Your choice of fabrics and sewing skill are outstanding.
Ann Smith said... (3/7/05 12:07 PM) Reply
Mai S, I had forgotten but I cut it out on the floor also. The one piece is 3 or more yards long. As with all SW patterns, marking carefully is important because of the asymmetry.
Mai S said... (3/7/05 11:36 AM) Reply
I too took a workshop on this pattern with Marcy Tilton when she got the pattern at a workshop she held back east. I made one with a heavy rayon/wool which was drapey. My pattern has welt pockets. The only concern I remember was that the pattern is large..very large, and I had to cut it out on the floor. Also I found it invaluable to mark everything with different color thread so that when I started matching edges,etc together, I matched the particular colored threads together. I went back to the pattern and found polaroid photos of Marcy in her white version with the pattern. Gosh, this was years ago.
Lyn B. said... (3/7/05 6:51 AM) Reply
Oh, my. I've come to dread opening up your reviews, Ann. You do such fabulous work, and you look so wonderful, I almost always end up with a new pattern. This is beautiful, therefore no exception. I'll be picking up this pattern in the near future! Editing to clarify that looking at you and your creations doesn't cause dread! I dread that I will almost surely end up with a new pattern in my insanely overgrown stash.
annsew65 said... (3/7/05 5:12 AM) Reply
Ann, so glad to see your Cocoon/Deja Vu Wrap! I've been thinking about getting the pattern while at the Atlanta Expo this weekend. I love wraps of this kind - they don't bind you up like a coat and they will slip over suits, etc. easily. You've made up my mind for me! It's quite unusual - yet elegant.
hongkongshopper said... (3/7/05 4:24 AM) Reply
Wow, what a bonus when something old becomes new again, and you haven't thrown it out!
MaryBeth said... (3/7/05 0:56 AM) Reply
Maybe that's why they named it the Deja Vu Wrap? I indulged myself in the eye candy in your album, BTW. You do such beautiful work and the fabrics are fabulous. This sounds like a fairly quick and easy wrap.

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top