Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5891 (kAtheRine Tilton top)

Reviewed by:mm

About mmstar
NSW Australia
Member since: 1/6/03
Posted on:4/11/13 4:55 AM
Last Updated:4/11/13 4:58 AM
whistlin dixie said... (6/1/14 3:49 PM) Reply
I've just started cutting out this pattern, and your thorough review will be a big help to me. From what you and others have said, it sounds like the collar has its challenges. I'm going to cut it on the bias to get it to lie better. Don't know how I'll deal with the raw edges. I'll have to think about that.
speekna said... (1/31/14 5:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for mentioning that views C and D are exactly the same! Butterick should have recognized this & adjusted accordingly. RE the review - very complete & very helpful. Thanks!
Sue Parrott said... (11/10/13 11:48 AM) Reply
VH review. I have version c on my dress form right now and am having so much trouble with the collar I could just scream! I am not sure how I will end up 'fixing' it but since I hate to wad up garments I have spent so much time on, I'll keep thinking about it.
jojobooster said... (4/24/13 10:06 PM) Reply
I have just been making up the same view and, having basted the collar, found myself asking the same question about neatening the edges. I will overlock for ease as I am still not sure I like this jacket to much, but am disappointed by the lack of attention to detail here.
Michele W said... (4/14/13 10:28 PM) Reply
Great Job! I like the fabric that you used. I have been working on the AB version and keep checking to see how the peplum goes on. It is not a standard application so seeing pictures may help me. I agree about the quirkiness. It is part of the charm. Thank you for the review.
marthamyers said... (4/12/13 8:53 AM) Reply
Perfect timing! I just finished a muslin of view A/B yesterday and I'm cutting it out now. I love your jacket. Great fabric, wonderful style. BTW, if you want to make A/B with the sleeves from C/D, you can first cut out A/B as is. Then lay the C/D front over each of the A/B fronts and recut the armscye. Do the same for the backs. I'll double-check this, but it should work as the armscye for C/D should be deeper than the armscye for A/B. If I can help, send me a message. Thanks for a great review! Updated April 15 - just realized it isn't practical to use the sleeves from C/D in A/B because the C/D sleeves are with a dropped shoulder. Sorry about that. You could use another pattern with a set-in sleeve, though.
rivergum said... (4/12/13 6:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, mm! I like the way you arranged the collar, looks very stylish.
Sharonspils said... (4/12/13 0:47 AM) Reply
This is a very stylish top/jacket and love the colour on you.
Dilliander said... (4/11/13 7:52 PM) Reply
Love the collar on this jacket, it looks stylish and interesting both ways. Your jacket is a wonderful success and tres fabulous irl too :)
GermanKleinigkeit said... (4/11/13 5:27 PM) Reply
What a nice jacket. And a very interesting fabric. I like your style.
Vintage Joan said... (4/11/13 4:56 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket!
BJ1400 said... (4/11/13 12:55 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great. Excellent review.
a life in stitches said... (4/11/13 9:12 AM) Reply
I think you have a great result here. A great review, which I'm sure will help when I make this. Thank you for pointing out the troublespots, but clearly you have oercome them.
PattyE said... (4/11/13 9:10 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I'm making view A next month. Love your fabric!
Andi said... (4/11/13 8:01 AM) Reply
Thanks for a very complete review!
Renata said... (4/11/13 5:45 AM) Reply
I like your end result as well. I bought this pattern as soon as I saw it, don't know when I will make it though. I prefer it buttoned up but it looks good either way.