Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8884 (Misses Coat and Belt)

Reviewed by:sarblakesl

Last Updated:4/20/13 9:04 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Coat/Jacket
kerrymay said... (4/26/13 5:59 PM) Reply
Looks very neat and stylish, I spent about 40 hours on mine which has more of a summer look to it
Paris75008 said... (4/20/13 2:51 PM) Reply
It's absolutely gorgeous! Great job on the fit, your hard work paid off. Love the lining.
sarah121haras said... (4/20/13 9:55 AM) Reply
Very nice!
marthamyers said... (4/18/13 7:40 AM) Reply
Congratulations on your new jacket! It looks fabulous.
nancy2001 said... (4/17/13 9:25 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks beautiful. You did a superb job!
Bonnie O said... (4/17/13 8:23 AM) Reply
Nicely done! Looks terrific on you.
Joyatee said... (4/15/13 1:00 AM) Reply
This looks wonderful on you! Perfect styling choices, and it's so versatile. Great job!
sarblakesl said... (4/14/13 7:57 PM) Reply
Legal.Dealer - this took me a good week to complete even though I have a lot of time to sew at the moment. I probably put in close to 40 hours into it to make sure everything was the way I liked it. I must have tried on the coat and played with different button, belt, and shoulder pad arrangements a couple dozen times. I understand what you are saying about the Little House on the Prairie look. I wish Vogue patterns didn't have such generous arm holes. Oh well, it's relatively easy to adapt patterns. I was careful to take out the same amount of ease from the arms as I took from the body and it worked just fine. This project was definitely more involved than some of my past projects, but was really no more difficult at all.
GoodbyeValntino said... (4/14/13 6:11 PM) Reply
What a beautiful job you did on your coat! Great color and styling!
Legal.Dealer said... (4/14/13 5:19 PM) Reply
After reading the review I needed more pics! Thank you for adding them to you Flickr. This is a great coat. What u said about the armholes makes perfect sense as I think of the little house on the prairie tv show they had high torso /skinny arms on dresses and overcoats for homesteading! How long did it take u to make this up? I haven't conquered the coat yet...
sarblakesl said... (4/14/13 12:14 PM) Reply
Thanks ladies! I am pretty proud of myself and how it turned out. I feel pictures don't really do it justice. Thanks for the compliments on my other work (and my legs, haha). I have been sewing clothing for a year now and have benefited so much from this site. I am now at a point where I feel comfortable adding my 2 cents to the table, so I will be adding more reviews in the future. To answer your question Tina - I do a lot of running, hiking, and biking here in the beautiful Colorado outdoors :)
cmarie12 said... (4/14/13 8:57 AM) Reply
What a wonderful jacket you've made!
pamscott said... (4/14/13 8:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat. Looks great on you :0)
Westy85 said... (4/14/13 6:42 AM) Reply
Love the colour and the jacket style looks great!
dolcevita said... (4/14/13 5:09 AM) Reply
Lovely coat - I have just made this in a cotton gabardine, but wasn't thrilled with the outcome as the fit wasn't as streamlined as I was expecting. Thanks for the helpful review - I'll go down a size for the next one.
ChristmasHills said... (4/14/13 3:59 AM) Reply
They look like cycling muscles to me. Lovely coat and some beautiful other pieces too as TinaLea said.
yummymummy38 said... (4/14/13 2:23 AM) Reply
Classy coat, you will enjoy this for many seasons, and maybe get hooked on coat making, as some of us have ;)
Jstarr4250 said... (4/13/13 11:05 PM) Reply
This is fantastic- a really beautiful coat. Congratulations!
TinaLea said... (4/13/13 11:03 PM) Reply
I saw the pictures of the other patterns you have sewn in addition to this one, you do beautiful work! (And I want to know what type of leg workout you do, seriously. You look great!!!!)
Lori V said... (4/13/13 10:40 PM) Reply
Great looking coat, I have the pattern and fabric to make a spring coat. Thanks for the helpful review.
SavageCoco said... (4/13/13 8:02 PM) Reply
Beautifully done. Really. You deserve a cocktail!

by: nicegirl