Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Kayla Kennington> 425 (Cross Over Top)

Reviewed by:Annika

About Annikastar
WA USA
Member since: 11/14/03
Posted on:3/13/05 4:30 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
Kayla Kennington said... (5/17/09 3:32 PM) Reply
Lovely, sorry you had to cut it down for size; I will review my sizing for this piece....it should be a closer fit than some of my other patterns, even as the ties determine some of the fit and for grading purposes; as the size goes up the length must increase as well. However, you may have gotten an older version of the pattern; I have re-done most of my patterns this past year; they have updated cover illustrations, they are printed on bond paper (for multiple use), a few have new instructions, and I have made alterations in cut where necessary. Please DO let me know if you find an error, I am printing "on-demand" and can make changes immediately. Thanks for your review, Kayla
ryan's mom said... (4/14/09 10:30 AM) Reply
Thanks! Very helpful review.
Carrabeg said... (1/28/08 2:26 PM) Reply
I am about to make one of Kayla Kennington patterns Fantasia and I was wondering how these patterns fits.
Sara The Slayer said... (11/22/07 9:18 AM) Reply
I'd love to hear about those modular designs. I want to do the Fantasia Jacket, but think it is probably too hard for me.
Daydreamer said... (5/7/07 9:01 AM) Reply
Looks great on you! I love Kayla's seam techniques!
suanne said... (1/3/07 2:33 PM) Reply
hve you sewn the perrenial pants #721 by Kayla?
ReneeS said... (11/2/05 9:34 AM) Reply
Just bought the pattern and am so glad to find this review before making this top! Am very tall and wondered about the placement of the tie holes (don't want to have it look unflattering if the tie holes are up too high for me). The photograph is extremely helpful and am very grateful that it was included in this review. Thanks for the much needed sizing info, too. You made a great looking top - the color combination is extremely beautiful.
CatherineN said... (6/12/05 2:06 PM) Reply
Do you think this could be made without a serger? Interesting and pretty!
MariaDenmark said... (3/14/05 9:23 AM) Reply
Beautyfull top, Annika - it looks great on you!
Katharine in BXL said... (3/14/05 8:40 AM) Reply
Annika, you look great. That color is priceless on you, as you know. (Nice haircut too!) The velveteen trim and the rose jacquard (?) raise the bar on this top. I like the asym hem--so interesting. This pattern is designed to waste extra fabric and make women feel trim ("I have to take in AGAIN!"). Or perhaps it is a subtle social movmement to keep women at their sewing machines as they take in & take in; hence the sizing issues. :) Keep the wrap tops coming till someone complains (like Debbie Cook had with her son!)
AnneM said... (3/14/05 8:25 AM) Reply
Cut top, nice color on you.
SewingSusan said... (3/14/05 6:55 AM) Reply
Just lovely. The color really works for you.
Irene said... (3/14/05 1:00 AM) Reply
Annika, Kayla shows the layout on p. 67 of Threads #117 (still current in my area), so I can see just what you're referring to. The model's top is rather baggy, whereas the fit on yours (which I prefer) resembles the denim version on the dressform on Kayla's web site. I asked Kayla about fit for me (4'9", Kwik Sew S-M, Loes Hinse XS-S), and she assured me that this pattern is easy to alter. I'll try to be in an experimental frame of mind when I tackle mine--with cheap fabric, first!
Vibek said... (3/14/05 0:05 AM) Reply
Lovely top. Very feminine lines without being frilly. Do you experience any .. eh .. "hammock" effect at all?
Annika said... (3/14/05 0:04 AM) Reply
Irene - I had the same problem - I couldn't figure out how to alter it to fit me, since I didn't know how big it would be on my body, nor how well it would drape, given the material, etc. When I first tried it on, it fell to my knees and was so wide I thought about giving it to a friend of mine who is taller and larger than I am. Then I decided to chop out 2 inches on the 2 seams that run down the front and back (not the side seams where the sleeves are attached) and take off 4 inches off the bottom. My current bust size is 46 inches, even though I wear a 42 cup, and the XXL was simply much too large - the XXL would fit a gal with a bust size of 50 or so, I think. Incidentally, the wider you make this, the less it drapes well, and the more fabric you are swaddled in in the front, because the front pieces cross over eachother.
Gilraen Surion said... (3/13/05 11:21 PM) Reply
Absolutely amazing. Great top!
MaryBeth said... (3/13/05 11:18 PM) Reply
Very good looking! I have this pattern so I do appreciate the heads up on how large it really is.
Jennifer shaw said... (3/13/05 7:05 PM) Reply
Your top is so beautiful. I love your color combinations. Thank you for the review. I always wondered how oversized her patterns would run. Thanks for saying how much ease !!
Izzie said... (3/13/05 5:56 PM) Reply
Beautiful top! You look great in it!
drsue said... (3/13/05 5:51 PM) Reply
Such a pretty top!
Mini said... (3/13/05 5:25 PM) Reply
Beautiful! That pattern cover is so unappealing I would never have guessed the finished product would look so nice.
Irene said... (3/13/05 5:19 PM) Reply
You and your top look wonderful. I treated myself to this pattern for my birthday, measured the pieces, and was thoroughly stumped as to what size I should make to get the "right" ease for me. Your comments reinforce my inclination to try a smaller size.
Hilary said... (3/13/05 5:19 PM) Reply
Your top is *gorgeous*!!! I love the color w/ the black bands-yours looks so much better than the pattern photo/drawing. I think it was wise to cut down on the width and length. I can't imagine that all that extra width/length would be flattering; this looks very good on you. Thanks for the review!
Rebecca D said... (3/13/05 5:18 PM) Reply
Lovely top and it looks wonderful on you. It's great to see this on someone. Thanks for this review and the sizing info.
els said... (3/13/05 5:01 PM) Reply
Annika you look good in your new cross over top, the color combination is great.
jlg said... (3/13/05 4:43 PM) Reply
Annika, your top is absolutely beautiful. Good job.

Violette Field Threads Stella