Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8669 (Misses' Top)

Reviewed by:SusanPartlan

About SusanPartlanstar
Member since: 4/14/11
Posted on:5/14/13 1:53 PM
Last Updated:5/14/13 3:13 PM

SusanPartlan said... (5/20/13 4:56 PM) Reply
Hi Gleta, thank you. I agree that getting the top to hang better is important and that it doesn't hang well as drafted. What I plan to do is try adding the front grecian fold feature to my self drafted bodice sloper, with 3/4 sleeves, because my sloper hangs perfectly. I will also use a woven fabric.
gleta said... (5/18/13 11:16 PM) Reply
I love your top! I've made this pattern several times & have made a couple of alterations, not for fit, just to make it hang better. I made a high round back adjustment adding just 1cm at the c.b. to prevent it sliding back over my shoulders...the only time I've ever had to do so... & extended the front neck edge up at the c.f. 10cm curving it back to the armhole edge. This gave it a triangular piece that drops down the inside & prevents the neckline hem from rolling outwards. Having done all that I love it.
SusanPartlan said... (5/16/13 5:56 PM) Reply
Thank you Marec. The reason I think it's mainly the fabric, not the design per se, is that I tried free draping different kinds of fabric with the grecian folds at the neckline and less drapey fabrics don't seem to make an obvious horizontal at the bust. Btw, I did try different bras and the line was still there with both structured and soft bras.
SusanPartlan said... (5/16/13 5:53 PM) Reply
ChristmasHills, I'm convinced the horizontal line is primarily about the fabric drape but I think you're right that if the top shifts up (pulls to the back) that might also be a contributing factor.
marec said... (5/15/13 9:35 AM) Reply
What a great top with a beautiful cowl. I see the line you refer to, and I'll confess that I have been known to switch to a soft bra to allow the fabric to nestle down between the "mounds". I think it is a function of the fabric and the cowl, as ChristmasHills mentioned above.
ChristmasHills said... (5/15/13 3:09 AM) Reply
I love the colour of your top. I get that horizontal line too but it only settles into it after I leave the mirror. Very annoying because I think I am looking good! I've given up on knits with this type of cowl because of the line, which by the way is worse on me than yours is. I think the whole top settles towards the back and causes pulling - could this be what yours is doing too?

by: Terri A

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two