Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8813 (Misses' Dress )

Reviewed by:Marge99

About Marge99star
Member since: 4/8/10
Posted on:5/20/13 5:13 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Other Projects by Marge99 using this Pattern

meadowclark said... (5/24/13 9:50 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. It looks great!
darlow said... (5/23/13 3:00 AM) Reply
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope you'll make another since it is so flattering on you. I am very full-busted and short, so I'm hesitant to try it, but if I can find fabric I won't mind sacrificing, I'll likely give it a chance. Best wishes!
Marge99 said... (5/22/13 8:12 AM) Reply
@ Darlow. I assume that it is polyester because it was dirt cheap, but it could be something else. It is not a supersoft knit and only has horizontal stretch. If I put the fabric down flat, pull a pinch through my fingers and carefully let go, the pinch will stand up by itself up to the height of a pen. Plenty of body, but not heavy. Hope that helps!
darlow said... (5/22/13 3:14 AM) Reply
Actually, the photo of your dress is much more flattering than the knit version that Marcy Tilton struggled with on her blog. Hers just droops. I am wondering if your fabric has more structure - is it a medium weight instead of light weight? Is it because it is polyester? Would appreciate your thoughts in response, as I'd like to give it a try also, but don't want to be discouraged by the drooping issue. Thanks.
Rosalaya said... (5/21/13 6:01 PM) Reply
WOW! That looks so good on you. Certainly minimises the bust doesn't it? I too have this pattern in my stash and I too am of the 'traditional build' [as per The First Lady's Detective Agency]. Mmmmmm, I see what you mean about the front droop. I think it must be the extra weight of the pockets. Love this dress on you. Also, I would be wary of 'taking out the extra bit' in the arm syce. I think that comes in as a result of the design and reducing it may result in less arm movement.
Marge99 said... (5/21/13 1:13 PM) Reply
Barbara V, I hadn't thought of the sleeve folds as matching the pockets, but it makes sense now that you mention it. To be honest the migraine was more Alice-in-Wonderland than red-hot-poker-behind-the-eye, but I get them often enough to resent losing any sewing time over it!
wildberrymom said... (5/21/13 12:06 PM) Reply
Translated so well on you! Great job!
Barbara V said... (5/21/13 11:29 AM) Reply
For a test garment made while dealing with a migraine, it turned out really, really well and looks great on you. I don't mind seeing the extra fabric at the shoulder/arm area as I think it appears as part of the loose fitting design, actually matching the draping pockets. I think the lower sleeve seam can be taken in more or dart added somewhere so that it can fit tighter in order to push up the sleeves if that is what you would like to do. Mostly I think you should wear this alot as it is so cute especially with the stripe design!
Amiejean said... (5/21/13 4:08 AM) Reply
Very helpful. I am very intrigued by this pattern, I need to just do it. I really like yours, thanks for sharing. The front is lovely and the dress looks so fun and comfy.
darlow said... (5/21/13 4:06 AM) Reply
I've been wanting to see this pattern on someone, as I also have it. Actually, I love it on you. Nice job!
meggipeg said... (5/21/13 0:45 AM) Reply
I really like your version of the dress and think it looks better than the pattern picture. I definitely think it's worth persevering with the fitting issues as it's a lovely dress and very flattering on you.
DaisyA said... (5/20/13 8:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Your wearable toile looks good!
ButtonFaith said... (5/20/13 5:30 PM) Reply
I love this! A great review with lots of helpful info and I am extremely impressed that you made it while you had a migraine. Interesting about the droop in the front, did your fabric have above-normal stretch?

by: ssssdeb