Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3037 (two piece dresses)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Sewing skills:Beginner

Posted on:3/23/05 3:17 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Skirts
kadytheredpanda said... (10/5/12 12:44 PM) Reply
I'm not much of an orange person, but I love that entire outfit. So pretty!
Julie G said... (7/2/07 4:20 PM) Reply
Nice outfit. Looks very sharp. It looks like the orange facing is showing through the white. If you add a seam to the facing from the lapel breakpoint up to the shoulder/neck point and cut the bottom half of the facing in the white it would bump this outfit up another notch. Also for next time, you might consider a shaped facing for the back hem if you want to preserve the original shape and seam.
Nancy Anne said... (3/24/05 5:31 PM) Reply
I love getting plain looking patterns and jazzing them up. Yours is lovely- I agree that it looks nicer than the one on the envelope.
Marrs said... (3/24/05 1:47 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review .. and help! This pattern is in the planning stages and your comments are timely.
PhyllisC said... (3/24/05 12:16 PM) Reply
Very sharp....all you need is a pair of spectator pumps and you're all set for spring!
Hilary said... (3/24/05 8:31 AM) Reply
Your outfit is gorgeous-I love the contrast orange on the top-and you're right about the longer version looking dowdy-I had looked at this pattern but the picture of the women wearing them just didn't look good, and I couldn't put my finger on what made it sort of blah looking. Now I know and yours is definitely *not* blah!
MickeyFan said... (3/24/05 6:32 AM) Reply
I love this outfit - especially your use of the binding on the sleeves and the contrast collar facing. The creamsicle colors are luscious.
Danvillegirl said... (3/24/05 5:48 AM) Reply
Classic style, love the colors.
drsue said... (3/23/05 10:52 PM) Reply
Thank you for the nice comments everyone. Vivienne: yes, this skirt matches the orange in the burda top (I was wearing the skirt in that pic.) PVA: IMHO the 40's fashions are exempt from that rule of thumb. Wasn't there a female senator who wore her actual 40's suits during her stint in the senate in the 70's. I believe she was the inspiration for Gracie in the Doonsbury comic strip.
Jennifer shaw said... (3/23/05 8:13 PM) Reply
What a great looking outfit!! It gives such a nice vintage feel- especially with the great colors. Thanks for another great review.
PVA said... (3/23/05 6:36 PM) Reply
I'm old enough to have made & worn something of the exact same style! Thank you for the review & so many design details. I especially like the tip about the contrasting buttonholes. Beautiful! I certainly love the retro look. I don't necessarily subscribe to the precept that if I'm old enough to have worn it the 1st time I shouldn't again! Pat (8^D)
ryan's mom said... (3/23/05 6:12 PM) Reply
Great outfit! Can't wait to see your next one too.
jlg said... (3/23/05 6:09 PM) Reply
Lovely, Dr. Sue. I like this style and what you've done with the pattern.
CarolynGM said... (3/23/05 6:06 PM) Reply
I love the way you did the contrast colors, and I love the retro look too. The style you chose tends to be very figure enhancing -- I bet you look great in it.
Vivienne said... (3/23/05 4:31 PM) Reply
Very summery - you're lucky to be able to wear that gorgeous orange colour. Does this match your recent burda top?
Vonnevo said... (3/23/05 3:49 PM) Reply
Another Dr Sue beauty! I really liked your colour combinations and the way you have used coloured trim. Thanks again for a great review.
CatherineN said... (3/23/05 3:40 PM) Reply
I remember my mom and grandmother wearing outfits like this when I was a kid. Very nice and a pretty color.
Cambric Tea said... (3/23/05 3:39 PM) Reply
Thank you for the buttonhole tip! I have been working with Simplicity 4637 Threads Collection which has a similar blouse/jacket. I would not have thought to do a contrasting collar and I just love how you did yours!
Susan Dryer said... (3/23/05 3:36 PM) Reply
Another lovely outfit! Elegant, refined and somewhat retro. Very nice.
The Renaissance Girl said... (3/23/05 3:35 PM) Reply
Cute outfit! Very retro, i love it.
jacalhoun said... (3/23/05 3:32 PM) Reply
What a great outfit! I love the style, the color, the contrast, everything! Great job!

Understanding Knit Fabrics