Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8886 (Misses' Top, Dress and Pants)

Reviewed by:MNBarb

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Pants
Available for sale on PR: $6.99 $25.00 Pattern Details
Fabric:Cotton-Lycra Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
I recently spotted two different striped and pocketed dresses/tunics that really called to me. I used the Vogue pattern but made these changes.
-Eliminated back zipper but kept center back seam for shaping.
Back view
-Off-set princess seams to accentuate them and add the illusion of shape.
Front view
-Of course, no zipper in collar. Sewed back seam and attached to top as instructed.
-Added patch pockets at hip height.
Side view

The black and gray stripe is a double knit rayon/lycra double knit from It's black on the back. I got the little "end of bolt" sticker on my cut. It's very soft and drapey but not difficult to sew.

Pattern Description: Misses' top, dress and pants: Fitted, lined top or dress has bateau collar, princess seams and back zipper. Semi-fitted, tapered pants have contour waist. A, B, C and D cup (bonnet) Custom fit sizes.

Pattern Sizing: In this envelope 8-16. It also comes in sizes 16-24. I made size 12 with B cup.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, although I made some changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. I didn't line this top but instructions for lining are included.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
-Jackie O. stand-up bateau collar is flattering to the neck and face and feminine looking.
-Princess seams to make fitting easier and to add shapeliness.
-Cup sizes.
-The armscye seemed more gapey than some other tops I've made.

Fabric Used: Medium-weight, cotton/Lycra knit. It had a white background with a squiggley pattern. I dyed it Jungle Red which is a Pantone spring color using Dharma Fiber Reactive Dye. The collar is interfaced with Fashion Sewing Supply Pro-Sheer Elegance.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
-The suggested fabrics are Crepe, Silk Tweed or Double knit. I used a stretch knit.
-Due to fabric choice I eliminated both the back zipper and the back opening in the collar.
Back view
-Lots of fiddling occured to prevent the underarm from gaping. Maybe I should have used the A cup but the extra fabric was at the side seam. I ended up taking off about an inch on front only between waist and underarm.
3/4 View
-Made it sleeveless. It was like being a teenager trying to drive on five dollars worth of gas. I had less than a yard of fabric. Anything that could be eliminated was.
-Lowered bust point by .5 inch, typical for me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I would make this top again, with sleeves. I would also consider both the dress and the simple, contour-waist, no waistband pants.

Conclusion: A classic and versatile pattern that, depending on fabric option, could be used for work or play. I love it in the knit and recommend it.

Subtracting the time taken to re-sew side seams and the jigsaw layout method this top could be made in about two hours.

Close-up photos (poor lighting)
3/4 view
Available for sale on PR: $6.99 $25.00 Pattern Details
HRigg said... (5/15/15 11:58 AM) Reply
I love the way the stripes go. Terrific style. I glanced it a short while ago and had to come back looking for the review.
Raye Ann said... (5/13/15 6:17 PM) Reply
I adore this striped tunic!! It looks so great on you.
Sue Parrott said... (5/12/15 10:22 PM) Reply
DARLING! This is super cute on you Barb!
JD19226 said... (5/12/15 4:00 PM) Reply
So cute!
kjcaron said... (5/12/15 12:16 PM) Reply
Great looking tunic!
SewWil said... (5/11/15 9:31 PM) Reply
Super cute tunic! Love how you used the stripes.
cleverkitty said... (5/11/15 8:39 PM) Reply
What a cute tunic! off setting the stripes was a good idea, your new quarter-sawn oak cabinets look great too :)
Whistle said... (5/11/15 7:29 PM) Reply
very nice top!
AndreaSews said... (5/11/15 7:15 PM) Reply
Love this on you! Beautiful fit, great choice of fabric and stripe layout.
Vancouvergirl said... (5/11/15 6:36 PM) Reply
Super cute top! Love the pockets!
sew2little said... (5/11/15 6:30 PM) Reply
I love the offset stripes!
marec said... (5/11/15 6:23 PM) Reply
I love this outfit on you!! The stripes are very striking.
shazam410 said... (1/10/15 4:38 AM) Reply
Beautiful! One of the best versions I've seen. Perfect fit, fabulous fabric.....super!!
CathrynR said... (7/30/13 8:26 AM) Reply
You made a great looking top.
Tyrza said... (6/10/13 10:04 PM) Reply
Great color and I love the top in a knit! I have this pattern and your rendition is making me want to try it.
Margaret said... (6/5/13 8:33 AM) Reply
Very cute! Lovely color on the fabric!
Mushywear said... (5/28/13 1:51 AM) Reply
Love this top and the fabric/dye you chose! It looks really good on you.
Danvillegirl said... (5/26/13 4:35 PM) Reply
I love this top on you! I just got this pattern recently so really should give it a try. I like the dyed fabric.
grays08 said... (5/26/13 11:02 AM) Reply
I love this and the dye color...looks great on you. I've been struggling with what fabric to use to make this as I love the pattern so it helps to have great ideas!
marec said... (5/26/13 10:22 AM) Reply
This was such a successful project! I love the lines on you-very flattering and chic.
Jstarr4250 said... (5/26/13 9:39 AM) Reply
Ooo I'm loving this one, too. Thanks for the sizing tips, especially the armscye gaping. Very helpful.
Sue Parrott said... (5/26/13 9:16 AM) Reply
I love what you did! How clever (smart) to make it from a knit. I will have to try this!
Mimi O said... (5/26/13 8:11 AM) Reply
Very cute and I like how your fabric turned out.
cleverkitty said... (5/26/13 7:46 AM) Reply
Yes I agree very cute top, the color is rich and beautiful. You can dress this up or down perfect for summer!!!
GoodbyeValntino said... (5/26/13 6:51 AM) Reply
I'm loving the renditions I'm seeing of this pattern and yours is super cute! Great analogy in your review too!
pdiddly said... (5/26/13 3:44 AM) Reply
this pattern has escaped my eagle eye - love it and well done for squeezing a cute top out of your fabric.
wildberrymom said... (5/26/13 2:55 AM) Reply
Very cute top! This pattern is on my "to do" list as well. Love the way it turned out for you.
SavageCoco said... (5/26/13 0:51 AM) Reply
Cute! Give us a bigger pic!!
madbadger said... (5/25/13 11:09 PM) Reply
Love your top - very nice!
ArtAttack said... (5/25/13 10:36 PM) Reply
Cute, cute, cute! How smart to use knit and to DYE the it. I have this and look forward to making it...thanks for the helpful review. P.S. I will send you my wardrobe if you'll make me a pair of pants that fit.

by: Callastitc...

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat