Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1873 (Misses' & Miss Petite Dresses)

Reviewed by:julliams

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

julliams said... (3/2/14 2:03 AM) Reply

julliams said... (3/2/14 2:03 AM) Reply
@Dinagideon - wonderful! my advice is to think about it for a while and then just go for it. I have another fabric in a hunting scene that I spent way too much time procrastinating over and as a result I missed the season. I'll hopefully get it done soon....
dinagideon said... (3/1/14 10:15 PM) Reply
So your review of the sundress in green with the cute John Wolf fabric started me on a quest to find some of these fabrics and since then I have found two...a red cotton with kitty cats in baskets and this SAME exact Paris attic scene fabric, except in a burgundy. Yay! I have an inspiration dress to look at! I have draped a skirt on my form, and hopefully will get the courage to actually pattern it out and cut it and make it one day. :)
julliams said... (7/24/13 8:12 AM) Reply
This is one of the most difficult things to do when you are learning. The only thing I can suggest is to be prepared to sew and unpick until you get it right. I've heard of people using tape or even basting the zipper in but it doesn't always guarantee a perfect match. I kind of manipulate the fabric a little - sometimes I stretch it a little as I'm sewing if I need more length or push it as it's sewing if I need less. It's trial and error and you just have to stick with it. May I remind you that once you have that dress on you will not see it from the back and anyone else who sees the back of your dress will most likely not even notice. So if it's only out by a smidge - live with it and move on. The other thing you can do is zip it up once you have attached one side, then place the other side over the closed zip and mark on the zipper where the waistline is. Doesn't always work but at least you will know if you are in the right ballpark.
Sarahbeara said... (7/22/13 11:53 PM) Reply
Hi I have another question. In haveing trouble with lining up my waistline when I zip up my invisable zipper. I know that one side is longer than the other but I don't know how to fix this. Any advice to what I could do? I am a beginner sewer and I'm kind of just learning how to sew on my own. Thank you for your help
Sarahbeara said... (7/8/13 2:37 AM) Reply
Ok thank you very much!
julliams said... (7/6/13 7:57 PM) Reply
Hi Sarahbeara, I always completely line my bodices for this reason. I basically make the exact same bodice in a nice soft cotton and stitch then together (right sides facing) along the neck and armholes. Then I clip the curves and turn it the right way through the shoulder straps. Then I stitch up the sides ( use a method that has it all hidden on the inside) and add my skirt. There is no need for bias or anything else around the neck or armholes this way - just a good press. Let me know if you need any more info.
Sarahbeara said... (7/5/13 3:58 PM) Reply
Hi I started this dress a could days ago and was wondering if you have any tips that would be helpful while finishing the armholes and neckline. I'm having trouble with it bunching up so I tried bias tape and it helped a little. Did you have any trouble with this? Any advise?
julliams said... (5/30/13 4:25 AM) Reply
Aww thanks ChristmasHills! That means alot actually. I usually start with the fabric. Certain fabrics bring certain dress types to mind and I just go with that. Also this fabric, being a border print and only 3 yards had limitations as to what kind of skirt I could use. But yes, it's fabric first, dress style second - mostly.
ChristmasHills said... (5/29/13 9:36 PM) Reply
You seem to have the knack of finding the right fabric for a dress, or the other way around. This is wonderful and I love the shoes too.
Danvillegirl said... (5/29/13 5:26 AM) Reply
Love this fabric! It became a really neat looking dress!
julliams said... (5/28/13 5:32 PM) Reply
Hi everyone - thanks for such lovely comments. Yes I did draft a collar. I will go back and edit my review to add this.
Morisot said... (5/28/13 1:24 PM) Reply
Superb use of that beautiful fabric.
Re Becca said... (5/28/13 12:18 PM) Reply
Love absolutely everything! Including the shoes. I see why you, this fabric and this pattern are just meant to be. Did you draft a collar or is that the serendipity of the print?
MNBarb said... (5/28/13 11:22 AM) Reply
Oh my! What a special dress! Your use of this fantastic border print gives the dress a thousand dollar look, very original and arty. You could design an entire wardrobe around those beautiful shoes.
Guelphgurl said... (5/28/13 10:12 AM) Reply
Love the dress AND the shoes!
MamaSewing said... (5/28/13 9:51 AM) Reply
Fun dress!
Berkie said... (5/28/13 7:20 AM) Reply
Nice use of a border print. Love the dress and shoes.

Sew Sweet Elizabeth Pleated Dress