Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6185 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:imsewcrazy

About imsewcrazystarstarstarstar
MD USA
Member since: 1/10/08
Posted on:5/28/13 8:51 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
imsewcrazy said... (10/5/14 9:13 AM) Reply
Moniquethomas- Are you still planning on using a rayon challis or cotton sateen? I used a knit so I usually go down a size when the pattern is not specifically made for knit.
moniquethomas said... (10/3/14 10:59 PM) Reply
I forgot to ask in my previous question, how you found the sizing? I've found with so many of the New Look patterns that they're so big when I go off the measurements on the envelope. I can see this dress has about 7" of ease. Did you go down a size or two or did you go off the envelope measurements? Thanks.
imsewcrazy said... (8/12/14 9:32 PM) Reply
Shaptavajra - I used the instructions on the pattern. Please send me a message and let me know where you're having trouble and I'll help you though it.
Shaptavajra said... (8/6/14 3:56 PM) Reply
Hi, I just tried to make this and totally messed up the collar at the last minute. This went from being a dress I hoped to wear to work during the hot summer, to a dress at best for kicking around the house or staying in the neighborhood. Can you tell me how you did the neck band? The directions confused me greatly.
imsewcrazy said... (2/25/14 10:47 PM) Reply
Moniquethomas-Yes it does have pockets! And they sit well. I plan on making more. Your fabric choices sounds great. I hope you have great success with this pattern.
moniquethomas said... (2/23/14 3:31 AM) Reply
Lovely dress. I have just ordered this pattern (yet to receive it) as I liked the simple style of this and the fact it has no zips or buttonholes. It looks like it has pockets but it doesn't say that on the pattern description. However, I note a few comments mention the pockets. Does it have pockets? If so, do you find they sit well? I don't want it to make me look more 'hippy'. Love your fabric choice. I'm thinking of using either a rayon challis (Anne Maria Horner) or an Amy Butler cotton sateen that I bought for another dress but I didn't end up buying the pattern.
RatRace said... (7/9/13 0:11 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous dress. Thanks for sharing.
Sheila457 said... (6/6/13 2:16 PM) Reply
That dress looks fabulous on you... love the print.
SewWil said... (6/4/13 8:18 PM) Reply
Super cute dress! Great fabric choice for this pattern.
buckarina said... (5/29/13 11:32 AM) Reply
Love this look - great fabric choice and happy accident on the bottom border!
CissieW said... (5/29/13 11:19 AM) Reply
Another winner! Perfect fabric for that pattern.
Levone said... (5/29/13 9:58 AM) Reply
Love your dress!
Grandmomof7boys said... (5/29/13 7:43 AM) Reply
I agree with el-in-or. I wouldn't have been interested in this pattern. Your version is so much more fashionable than the picture on the pattern envelope.
Lori V said... (5/29/13 7:27 AM) Reply
I love this dress on you, it looks incredible.
1SewSweet said... (5/29/13 7:00 AM) Reply
Very cute! I love your version better!
Danvillegirl said... (5/29/13 5:20 AM) Reply
Cute dress and pockets are a nice extra feature! Love the fabric.
mnitts said... (5/29/13 3:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful fabric makes this plain pattern sing! Congrats you look fab.
CynthiaSue said... (5/29/13 2:59 AM) Reply
You make this sack dress look couture! Love it. Fabulous fabric pick.
ell-in-or said... (5/29/13 1:26 AM) Reply
The pattern drawing looks a bit boring - not sure I'd look twice at the pattern, but your fabric choice really puts the WOW in it. Great job. :) Plus - it's awesome that it has pockets.
cmcarr said... (5/29/13 0:48 AM) Reply
Your work is beautiful and such lovely fabric.
Living Beauty said... (5/29/13 0:03 AM) Reply
WOW!
TinaMc said... (5/28/13 10:05 PM) Reply
I love the way this looks on you and I agree with ArtAttack, the fabric is what makes it really something special. Beautiful.
ArtAttack said... (5/28/13 9:14 PM) Reply
Outstanding!! You find the most fabulous fabrics that bump your beautiful work and pattern choices up to a completely different level! Love it!

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-109