Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Grainline Studio> 31004 (Archer Shirt)

Reviewed by:CissieW

About CissieWstarstarstarstar
NC USA
Member since: 1/21/07

Best Patterns of 2013
Posted on:5/29/13 8:29 PM

Jstarr4250 said... (5/31/13 7:54 AM) Reply
Ha! I know what you mean. Both my sisters and 3 sisters in law will be getting Archers this Christmas!
CissieW said... (5/31/13 6:39 AM) Reply
Julie, I don't know if I should thank you or not for infecting me with your "virus"! How many of these shirts do I need? I have lots of versions in my head!
Jstarr4250 said... (5/31/13 0:45 AM) Reply
This is so soft and pretty with your Liberty upgrade! So glad you caught the Archer bug!!
CissieW said... (5/30/13 10:00 AM) Reply
Thanks for the topstitching tips! I've been studying my husband's bespoke shirts and all are different! I really like the idea of 2 threads for some topstitching, too! I guess on this shirt my stitching is between topstitching and edgestitching since I couldn't make up my mind!
grays08 said... (5/30/13 9:15 AM) Reply
This is lovely and appreciate the hemming tip. I always struggle with selecting the "right" stitch length on my topstitching because so much of it seems to come down to the style of garment, and how it looks. This one I'd say to go a tad smaller or use what you did (which I like) but in more casual things I like the longer 3.5+ length. I have an internal battle as well every time though deciding if I like the length I picked! = )
cleverkitty said... (5/30/13 9:04 AM) Reply
CissieW your shirt is Beautifully done and that Liberty of London lawn sitting in your stash for 40 years is a Treasure, so hard to come by here in the States very sought after, never get rid of this shirt! As for the Chambray, it is no poor mans linen, Chambray is a type of weave having equal warp and weft yarns having no right side. Who can not love Chambray and your color is so unique considering it's usually associated as being blue. Top-stitching should be seen as a detail so a stitch length of 3.0 or more is what your after, usually done 1/4" from the edge. I use a 1/4' foot. Edge stitching is done on the edge like you did, an edge stitch foot with a raised edge guide is extremely helpful for this, many times both stitches are done. My most favorite thing to do is to put two all-purpose threads through a single needle to make a more visible stitching line. The other thing I do to keep the fabric in control while top stitching is: using one hand in the back and one in the front so there is so tread escapees while stitching, they have to behave and stay inline. By time your done with 12 shirts you will be giving us advice, Pam off the Cuff is an excellent resource too. Happy Sewing, I look forward to seeing your other shirts :)
Bestyears said... (5/30/13 8:46 AM) Reply
I have to agree that the topstitch appears to be beautifully done. What is it about it that bothers you?
VivianZ said... (5/30/13 8:09 AM) Reply
Lovely top. I think the topstitching is done nicely.
cleverclogs said... (5/30/13 7:12 AM) Reply
Yep, I've got to learn how to wrangle downloaded patterns and make one of these! Your shirt looks great, including the topstitching. If anything, I'd lengthen the stitch a little.
Aixoise said... (5/30/13 0:12 AM) Reply
Beautiful job on this shirt. I think your topstitching looks fine. I've always thought that for edgestitching a shorter stitch was appropriate; with topstitching a 2.5 to 3.0 stitch, depending on fabric weight and the look you're going for. Thanks for making me aware of this pattern.
ArtAttack said... (5/29/13 10:47 PM) Reply
Really cute, Cissie! Honestly, I think your topstitching is great. We are always so critical of our own work. I want to use your hemming method on my July. Thanks for that tip. Great Archer and review!
sewme47 said... (5/29/13 9:59 PM) Reply
Nice shirt, and I love your touch of Liberty print. :-)

by: Sue Parrot...