Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5450 (Misses'/Misses' Petite Top, Tunic and Dress)

Review submitted in Natural Fabrics Contest 2013 Contest

Butterick Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops
Fabric:Cotton  [See other projects in this fabric]
6/1/2015 update- I've remade this summer favorite in a lovely Oscar de la Renta cotton twill from Mood Fabrics. The pattern is out of print but if there's any way you can get your hands on it from eBay or Etsy I highly recommend that you do so. This could very well be my all-time favorite summer dress pattern. I might remake it one more time as a top length. I sized down from the earlier version and that corrected the bit of gapping around the armscyes.

Original review- When style icon and fashion legend Lilly Pulitzer passed away earlier this year it brought to mind all the wonderful "Lillys" I've owned over the years. Nothing says summer like her colorful cotton prints. The Natural Fibers Contest is a perfect opportunity to pay tribute to her classic shift dress, which first shot to fame when Lilly's old schoolmate, First Lady Jackie Kennedy, was photographed wearing one in 1962. A few years earlier Lilly had been working at her brother's orange juice stand in Palm Beach, Florida and had a dress made in a busy print that would hide the juice stains. An empire was born!

Pattern Description: MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE TOP, TUNIC AND DRESS: Top A, tunic B and dress C are close-fitting, partially lined and have side seam zipper. A: below hip length. B: mid-thigh length. C: 2" above mid-knee length

Pattern Sizing: 6-12, 14-20.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Very. The gusset and bodice pleats are simple to make and add just the right touch of interest. The pattern is well marked and illustrated.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The simplicity and style; it's very quick to make and looks more complicated than it is
Shoulders that are cut in at the top but still offer great coverage on the sides
Side zipper (I left off the hook and eye at the top, too awkward to fasten!)
Slightly flared skirt for comfort and wearing ease

Fabric Used:Lilly Pulitzer trademarked cotton purchased from a Hong Kong seller on ebay. I have no way of knowing if it is truly authentic but it is of very high quality and luckily warranted the price. It has a great feel and crisp but soft finish to it. Kona cotton for the bodice lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:None. It's perfect just as is, although I may shorten it another inch. Only the bodice is lined so if your fabric is on the sheer side you may want to add a lining to the skirt as well. I feel it does run a bit big. I usually sew a 10 and could have gone with an 8.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I have a lot of pique in my stash and this pattern would be ideal for that. The pattern is discontinued but you may find it out there on the internet.

Conclusion: I wish I'd have made this pattern sooner. I've flipped by it so many times, so I guess it was just waiting for me to figure out that it was destined to be a Lilly.

On dressform
On me
lmb09 said... (6/4/15 8:07 PM) Reply
Fabulous! Glad you reminded me of this pattern! I need to pull mine out and get sewing ASAP!!!
MVi14 said... (6/2/15 9:26 PM) Reply
Very lovely! This is also one of my all time favorite patterns. Butterick should consider reprinting it.
sew fresh said... (6/2/15 7:51 PM) Reply
Love the fabric.
GayleMI said... (6/2/15 5:33 PM) Reply
Looks lovely on you; great fit!
WinterQueen said... (6/2/15 4:09 PM) Reply
Just shows that if the fit is right even the most simple shape and style looks stunning. Beautiful dress
MNBarb said... (6/2/15 3:30 PM) Reply
This is one of my favorite patterns. Thanks for reminding me that it could also be a dress. Your fabric is lovely!
slmstyle said... (6/2/15 2:26 PM) Reply
What a lovely creation and so nice to make in memory of two wonderful designers. Enjoy!
Deepika said... (6/2/15 12:56 PM) Reply
I am in awe of your sewing and fitting skills. Everything you make looks so high-end and so well fitted. Thanks for sharing.
Sue Parrott said... (6/2/15 9:48 AM) Reply
WOW! Everything about this screams high-end retail! You look like a model in this!!!
kjcaron said... (6/2/15 8:33 AM) Reply
What a pretty dress! It looks fantastic on you!
chisgran said... (6/2/15 8:07 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress, excellent work.
Dee2 said... (6/1/15 10:16 PM) Reply
Love the Lily & your creations are perfect! Congrats on your 100th review!
kindofpicky said... (6/1/15 9:59 PM) Reply
So pretty and fresh!
SewWil said... (6/1/15 9:16 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress once again! Very flattering on you. I have this pattern lined up and ready to go.
cleverkitty said... (6/1/15 8:15 PM) Reply
This is my all time favorite too, I have fabric set aside for it. Your newest version looks great in that beautiful cotton twill :)
Joan Morley said... (6/1/15 8:14 PM) Reply
Everything about this is good...including the body wearing it!!
missyyz said... (6/1/15 5:37 PM) Reply
I love it. It's such a great dress on you.
Vancouvergirl said... (6/1/15 4:49 PM) Reply
HRigg said... (6/1/15 4:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for the update and a reminder of what a great pattern it is indeed. Perfect fabric again and I do like those bodice pleats.
hopflower said... (6/1/15 4:01 PM) Reply
It is a beautiful dress, indeed.
Clareew said... (6/1/15 3:54 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress. Great combination of fabric and pattern.
Lori V said... (6/1/15 3:40 PM) Reply
This is a gorgeous dress and you look stunning.
ArtAttack said... (6/1/15 3:36 PM) Reply
Now I may just have to track down this pattern. Your dressed turned out beautifully and will surely be a favorite summer grab from your closet. Lovely color on you.
Utta Retch said... (6/1/15 3:29 PM) Reply
Lovely, stylish dress and a good fit.
jennygolightly1 said... (6/13/13 5:15 PM) Reply
You review patterns so well! I love learning from all you lovely ladies! I definitely want to try this and the Archer's shirt now.
caper81 said... (6/2/13 2:30 PM) Reply
Very classy summer dress! Love the fabric :)
arianamaniacs said... (6/1/13 4:33 PM) Reply
I've never heard of Lily, but I'm loving your dress :)
Stitching fairy said... (5/31/13 2:54 PM) Reply
I love this dress, it is stunning!
grays08 said... (5/31/13 11:39 AM) Reply
This just screams "great summer dress" - so wonderful, the pleating and the fabric, just wonderful! Looks so great on you and what wonderful posture!
wildberrymom said... (5/31/13 10:07 AM) Reply
What a great summer dress--love the print!
Jstarr4250 said... (5/31/13 7:22 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for your nice words. SewWil, it was your version that first drew me to this pattern. That fabric was stunning! Cissie and Beanchor, my new sewing room and I are still in the honeymoon period so let's see how it looks in a few months!
mnitts said... (5/31/13 6:44 AM) Reply
As ever beautiful fit and wonderful fabric. Great job!
2 Airedales n Me said... (5/31/13 0:43 AM) Reply
Adorable with a capital A. I hadn't seen this pattern but it's a winner! Your dress will turn heads....just watch and see. :)
staymay said... (5/30/13 11:37 PM) Reply
I agree perfect summer dress!
beanchor said... (5/30/13 10:37 PM) Reply
I love your dress and the print you chose! I agree with CissieW, your sewing area is immaculate! I had a moment of questioning my self-worth upon seeing it!
Aroura said... (5/30/13 10:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, and gorgeous fabric!
SewWil said... (5/30/13 8:33 PM) Reply
CUTE!!!! I love the dress in that print. I have this pattern and made the top but now you have convinced me that I have to make the dress as well. Your dress looks very pretty on you.
GoodbyeValntino said... (5/30/13 7:40 PM) Reply
Perfect summer dress! I love Lilly everything :)
cleverkitty said... (5/30/13 6:59 PM) Reply
This cute dress is in my line up this summer, last summer it was suppose be made but Fall moved in too fast. As soon as I saw you made it I said "oh good!!!!!" I know their is 17 more reviews but I was excited to see that you made it. Your intro on Lilly Pulitzer makes me want some fabric too, I don't think the Estee Lauder tote bags (gift with purchase) is enough Lilly in my life, thanks for modeling this great pattern ;)
liliv said... (5/30/13 4:28 PM) Reply
I love this pattern, simple and elegant! It suits your style! And the fabric is so pretty!
HRigg said... (5/30/13 4:02 PM) Reply
Lovely dress in a great fabric.
Barbara V said... (5/30/13 1:27 PM) Reply
What a pretty dress, print and style. The color and dress look lovely on you!
Jessica Dean said... (5/30/13 12:04 PM) Reply
Love, love, love the print. What a great little summer dress. :)
CissieW said... (5/30/13 11:48 AM) Reply
Great dress! I think I have this pattern so now will try to dig it out! BTW, your sewing area looks disgustingly neat and organized.
lmb09 replied...(6/4/15 7:59 PM)
Haha, I'm pretty sure you do, CissieW! I think it was you who made me hunt it down on ebay last year! :)
sew2little said... (5/30/13 11:28 AM) Reply
I love my top from this pattern; your versions makes me think I should try the dress. Lovely.
ArtAttack said... (5/30/13 11:07 AM) Reply
Authentic or not, it is outstanding for this cute summer cooler...great job!

by: MinaLMcGra...