Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3298 (Men's knit briefs)

Reviewed by:Katharine in BXL

About Katharine in BXLstar
Belgium
Member since: 8/1/03
Posted on:3/31/05 7:47 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 9 people    Very Helpful by 28 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens
Sara The Slayer said... (12/1/07 3:45 AM) Reply
I love them! Thanks for the heads up on the lycra. I wanted something all cotton.
Tessa said... (4/11/05 2:01 PM) Reply
Katharine, does this pattern have side seams? I can't tell from the catalogue page, but it looks from your pair as if there is an inner leg piece/panel connecting back to front. Is that right?
Tessa said... (4/6/05 1:12 PM) Reply
Leslie: I've been buying cotton/lycra from Wazoodle to make undies for myself and my husband. He also really likes powerdry with lycra for longjohns (also from Wazoodle).
Tailypo said... (4/5/05 2:56 PM) Reply
My dh is so, so, so jealous of these! He wants me to make the exact same pair for him. Maybe San Francisco is closer to Europe in underpants aesthetics.
Katharine in BXL said... (4/1/05 11:38 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Debbie, I also can't picture your DH favoring a pink brief. It takes a secure man to let his hot pink floral underwear go on the Internet, LOL. The elastic was, alas, bought locally at a hole in the wall notions store in Taipei across from the indoor fabric market. Els, you're darn right, this could make a nice swimmer. Soso, I actually had to try these on myself :) Hilary, these would be hysterical as a gag gift! I should make some for my DH 'cos he's going away for 2 months. Leslie, wouldn't FFC have a nice lycra cotton? Gigi, thanks for the CS tip. It would look nicer than a zigzag. Your DS is lucky to have Momma Gigi looking out for him! Sue, yes; what an excellent judgement call about hot pink in a school locker room. He'd go au naturel first.
Janie Viers said... (3/31/05 4:00 PM) Reply
Katherine, love the briefs. I, too, want to know where you got the great elastic. I haven't seen anything even vaguely similar in a waistband weight elastic even online! Tell! (though your DH COULD model the next pair-or is he not THAT European?) LOL Janie
drsue said... (3/31/05 1:29 PM) Reply
Love those! One of my sons loves these types of pants and their hard to find in kids. Hmmm. don't think that print would go over well in the 6th grade boy's locker room though.
Leslie in Austin said... (3/31/05 1:04 PM) Reply
Those are really great, Katharine, and I love your husband's adventurous sense of fashion. Hubby loves knit briefs like those, particuarly for wearing under looser shorts to the gym. Gotta pick up that pattern. Wonder where to find quality cotton/lycra of light enough weight...
Gigi Louis said... (3/31/05 11:40 AM) Reply
Katharine, I forgot to add that you could indeed use a coverstitch to attach the elastic. You'd end up with a very professional-looking finish.
casken said... (3/31/05 11:39 AM) Reply
Love the fabric! I could never get my DH to wear them. He likes black or grey. Very nice. Thank you for your review.
Gigi Louis said... (3/31/05 11:38 AM) Reply
Those briefs are awesome! My DS would love the wild colors. He's been begging me to make him some new underwear and has always preferred mine over the RTW variety.
flowermama said... (3/31/05 11:22 AM) Reply
Katharine, my dh would love those too! Do they stay in place on the leg?
sosoatsewing said... (3/31/05 10:24 AM) Reply
Now I would wear those men's undies...cute! Katharine, where did you locate the elastic for the waist band?
Hilary said... (3/31/05 10:10 AM) Reply
OMGoodness, I am ROFL-my DH would fall on the floor in a dead faint if I made him a pair as wild as these-I just may have to as a gag gift :D Seriously I have this pattern and I appreciate the review; I am excited to make him some, though my version won't be as exciting! Thanks Katharine! You gave me a big smile!
Rennie Ashby said... (3/31/05 8:43 AM) Reply
Just ordered this pattern from PR.com. Great to here its such a winner!
els said... (3/31/05 8:10 AM) Reply
Hi Katharine, welcome back. You made a funky boxer short, should be great for swimwear too I guess.
Debbie Cook said... (3/31/05 8:09 AM) Reply
Great job Katharine! I love your DH's fabric choices too, although I know it wouldn't be too popular with the men in my house! LOL!

Style 1646