Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> StyleArc> Safari Jane Jacket (Safari Jane Jacket)

Reviewed by:clothingengineer

About clothingengineerstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/7/10
Posted on:6/8/13 0:53 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Levone said... (6/10/13 1:28 PM) Reply
Pretty coat! Love all of the details!
Annie P said... (6/9/13 11:57 PM) Reply
Great jacket. Thanks for all the details on your blog post.
clothingengineer said... (6/9/13 9:33 PM) Reply
Lhan - it depends on the type of fabric you use. My fabric could pass for a regular nylon fabric so I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when constructing it. I used Gutermann poly thread and a microtex sharp 65/9 needle. No seam sealer. I'm not sure how it would tolerate a torrential downpour, but for the average rainy day it is fine. Now, if you're sewing out of something like Ultrex or another rainwear fabric that has a polyurethane backing you probably need to plan on using a walking foot or Teflon foot, a small microtex sharp needle, and clamping rather than pinning to prevent needle holes. (Basically, treat it like leather or vinyl.) Regular Gutermann or Mettler thread is fine. I haven't ever used seam sealer so I can't advise you on that. I strongly recommend contacting The Green Pepper or Seattle Fabrics for supplies - they specialize in outdoor gear fabrics and notions and really know their stuff.
Lhan said... (6/8/13 8:07 PM) Reply
Great coat. So nice to see people sewing raincoats, as they are one of those 'last frontier' kind of garments that are usually in the too hard basket. I have bought some rainwear fabric and am contemplating making one. Like you I found no patterns that are longer than bottom length, and will have to lengthen the ones I have. I loved the details you put in your blog link, thank you - it is beautifully sewn and full of major details. The hood is much better than most - thanks for the information on this. Can you just tell me if you used a special needle and thread, and if you used any seam sealant? I am unsure whether these are needed. Thanks!
21wale said... (6/8/13 3:47 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket! I love that you found a "just a hood" pattern to add to it.
Dee2 said... (6/8/13 1:25 PM) Reply
Love your coat--the color & fabric are beautiful! As usual, wonderful construction & attention to detail.
Knitz said... (6/8/13 10:34 AM) Reply
Another great Anne/StyleArc collaboration. Excellent write up on your blog!
cleverkitty said... (6/8/13 9:25 AM) Reply
Amazing coat and the fabric looks beautiful I love this color :)
Lynmarie said... (6/8/13 7:45 AM) Reply
Love your coat, thanks for advising on the arm width, will definately measure up my pattern before cutting, hope mine turns out looking as great as yours !

Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic LN1415