Pattern Description: This pattern is best known as the Pippa bride maid dress. Butterick’s description is close fitting, lined, bias dress has front self-faced drape over front bodice and back invisible zipper
Pattern Sizing: An adjusted size 14
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It did look a lot like the picture. The front cowl maybe sticks out a bit further than it looks in the drawing. But it is hard to tell with the pictures being face on (faced forward).
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instruction were very good. Attaching the front drape to the front bodice piece did make me have to lay the instructions next to the cut out pieces just so I understood what I was doing. I did follow recommendations of adding interfacing to the zipper seam before inserting the zipper.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I had picked this pattern out because it was different than the other dresses I had made. I liked the front drape. I also liked that it was bias cut so that it would challenge my sewing skills. The most challenging seam is the front bodice/cowl to the front skirt which is the curved one.
Fabric Used: Pale Peach Pink Wool Crepe with a white china silk lining. (total of 3.75 yds fabric from stash)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I added about an inch to the waist and hips. On my second muslin I had added a couple of inches to there but it was too big. I reshaped the bust dart so that it was shorter. I raised the neck line scoop on the front bodice piece. I pinch pleated out a little extra from the upper bodice. I also shorted the back length above the waist about a ½ inch. I may have needed to add a touch more to the waist and hips and subtract a touch more out of the back. But for the first bias sewn garment, I still like it.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I would recommend others to give this pattern a look, but realize that you will have to make a muslin. The most challenging seam is the front bodice/cowl to the front skirt which is the curved one. But otherwise, the rest went together fairly easily. I would be very interested in seeing a “causal” version of this dress. But I don’t think I will be sewing this one again.
Conclusion: This is my entry in the Butterick Hollywood challenge. One of my favorite movies is Death on the Nile (1976). So I used this pattern to recreate a version of Rosalie’s evening gown but I made the cocktail short dress version. Hopefully, it still looks like I am going on a cruise down the Nile in the 1930s even though I went with the short dress version. If you are looking for a fairly easy cocktail dress pattern, this would be one to at least give a trial muslin too.