|PatternReview: 100 (Summer Street Dress) - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 352 times
||8 more reviews|
Review rated Very Helpful
by 3 people
|About LBowman |
|Member since: 9/23/08 |
|Reviews written: 17|
|Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner|
|Favored by: 1 people|
|patterns reviewed: 17|
|Posted on:||6/17/13 2:47 AM |
|Last Updated:||6/19/13 8:35 PM|
PatternReview Pattern Info
|Pattern Rating:||Pattern OK, but did NOT work for Me |
|See other patterns in this category: Dresses |
|Available for sale on PR: $9.95 (See envelope) |
|Fabric:||Cotton-Poly Knit [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: dress, pull-over|
Pattern Sizing:I did size L, plus an FBA
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? pretty much
Were the instructions easy to follow?yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?It doesn't suit me.
Fabric Used:Some t-shirt knit I had in my stash
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:an FBA to a DD; expanded the width of the front skirt 3" so it would match the increased width post-FBA; dropped the bodice seam 4" to get it to sit where it is on the pattern photo (part of the FBA); cut the neckline down 1.5" because I like it better that way; and followed Deepika's instructions on her third version of this dress, to use pleats instead of gathers. I really liked the pleats look, as opposed to gathers, and will remember it for other projects.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
No. This was my second try. The first try I did an FBA, following the link on the pattern - I like that way of doing an FBA by the way - but didn't drop the bodice seam, so it came out with the seam up far too high (see my last review). So this time I measured to see where the seam should be and I needed a full 4" to get the seam to sit at the waist - which I will remember when I next try to alter an empire waist. And it does fit well - see the photo, on Xena the Warrior Dress Form - but I just don't think it suits me. This time I think part of the trouble is the fabric. T-shirt knit just isn't stretchy enough, or this one isn't, and it doesn't have enough drape. A drapier fabric would be more flattering, and suit the dress better (and in fact that's what the pattern calls for).
I do really like using pleats instead of gathers and would do that again; and the FBA instructions linked to the pattern work really nicely if you aren't going to put in a dart. (You just swivel the dart-line so as to swing it around to the waist.)
Conclusion: I'm pleased to have resolved my technical issues with fitting an empire waist; that was part of the reason I wanted to make a simple empire pattern, to figure it out. This dress isn't finished yet - the seams are only basted in, and I haven't done any of the finishing - so I will do those things, but I think the style doesn't suit my body type.
|Buy this pattern for $9.95 Add to Bag |