Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> PatternReview> 100 (Summer Street Dress)

Reviewed by:LBowman

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

Other Projects by LBowman using this Pattern

photophoto

LBowman said... (7/9/13 8:40 AM) Reply
Xena the warrior dress form? :-) she was made at an afternoon workshop, of brown paper tape, molded to me, and I spray-painted her bronze.
Amelia Airhead said... (7/8/13 8:53 PM) Reply
Hello LBowman, I'm writing to pester you with a question about your dressform in the picture of your pink version of the Summer Challenge dress. The dressform isn't the run of the mill purchased dress form. Is this something you were able to purchase or is this something you made? Thanks for any information you may have.
DrawThroughTime said... (6/18/13 8:41 PM) Reply
I just discovered your reviews of this pattern. JEF, you and I all seem to be looking at some of the same issues. I think there are so many people of all ages, shapes and sizes wearing dresses like this...just look around! And they look usually nice... at minimum, a little dressier than a tee-shirt right?!, even if they are not a size 6 and below. And in the best scenario they can look very smart like Deepika's polkadot version. There are those of us who aren't used to the style on ourselves though, and I think it takes us a little getting used to the style even if we get the fit done fairly nicely! I like the one you've modeled with the leggings. Can't tell as much on the next one without a human body. Your first one is very similar to my first one. My second one will also be longer in the waist, but not as long as you've added to yours so we will see how it turns out. I added 2 3/4" and so far the muslin of the bodice looks good. I also tapered to the waist by using the original line from the bottom of the armhole to the shorter printed bottom corner, and with a ruler just extending the line at the same angle down to my new corner at the new length. It was subtle but still tapered in at the waist that way. When I tried on the muslin it fit, or I would have adjusted it further then too. If you want, join us on the Sew Along for Summer Street Dress. There you will find that JEF expressed that she wasn't really happy with her's till version 3 and 4! I'm also experimenting with another version with an FBA and like you find it to be a good pattern to experiment with some basic adjustments.
JEF said... (6/17/13 10:49 AM) Reply
I know just what you mean. I thought this pattern wasn't for me either (I'm too busty and the pattern is too youthful) BUT I decided I like it after trying it in various fabrics. FWIW, I think the other one you made (when you modeled it) is really nice and looks great with the black leggings. Maybe you would like this more shortened to a tunic length?

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-127