Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8870 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Couturemum

About Couturemumstar
QLD Australia
Member since: 4/1/13
Posted on:6/27/13 2:18 AM
Last Updated:6/27/13 2:23 AM

Barbara R said... (6/28/13 11:05 AM) Reply
Love this dress, and just added it to my wish list. You might have to resort to hand blind stitching the facing to the dress. I agree it's probably the nature of the slippery fabric. But I would definitely try the fusible web idea first.
becca a said... (6/28/13 9:49 AM) Reply
Lovely dress! Congratulations on you first vogue. I agree with nicegirl, facings rarely behave. I usually try to avoid them either by turning under the edge of the neckline, binding the neckline, or cutting a full lining for the top. Don't blame yourself for the nature of facings.
thi3 said... (6/28/13 8:47 AM) Reply
Looks very lovely on you!
N_Vogue said... (6/28/13 4:28 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress.
wildberrymom said... (6/28/13 2:41 AM) Reply
Very pretty! I am not a personal fan of the uneven hemlines but this one is very nice on you. For some reason I see this with a buckle belt of some kind--even white.
Couturemum said... (6/27/13 11:05 PM) Reply
Thank you all so much for your lovely comments and thoughtful suggestions. I did indeed tack the facing at the sleeve seam, at the waist and I even tucked a couple of stitches into the pleats, but I suspect that being such light slippery fabric isn't helping matters. I never thought of using fusible web, thanks, will definitely look into that! I haven't managed to find a belt that I liked, I wanted gold or something bright so I think I just might have to make one : )
Sue Parrott said... (6/27/13 7:01 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress! Congrats on your first review and your first Vogue!
nicegirl said... (6/27/13 2:28 PM) Reply
Very pretty! I loathe facings because of the flipping out problem. I assume the facing is already tacked to the raglan sleeve seam and the waist seam? If you have scraps of fabric you can test out whether fusible web (like Wonder Under or Stitch Witchery) will be too obvious. If it doesn't show or make the fabric noticeably stiff, you can fuse the facing into place.
norie creates said... (6/27/13 2:25 PM) Reply
Very pretty and feminine dress!
Heatherrique said... (6/27/13 1:05 PM) Reply
Terrific looking dress!
Lori V said... (6/27/13 12:52 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress.
slmstyle said... (6/27/13 10:47 AM) Reply
Pretty dress! Congrats on your first pattern review as well as on your first Vogue pattern!
grays08 said... (6/27/13 10:10 AM) Reply
Very beautiful, and I think the first one of these from this pattern that I've seen that looks like the pattern envelope. I have this one but haven't made it up yet so I appreciate your review. = )
caper81 said... (6/27/13 9:36 AM) Reply
How beautiful!! Very classy and elegant on you! I love the fabric :) I'm curious to see this dress belted, but it looks great as is. And yes, congrats on your first review! Oh, P.S., did the pattern instruct you to under-stitch the bodice/neck facing? If not, I think it might help :)
evelynhughes said... (6/27/13 7:09 AM) Reply
Well done and congrats on your first vogue!

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-1996-417