|Several years ago I ordered (I think maybe from Annie's Attic) some lovely stretch cotton velvet with a large paisley print in navy, brown, maize, teal, and red. The original plan was to use it for an unlined jacket to wear in autumn. Well, when the fabric arrived, it was indeed lovely but the reverse side was very white, which meant that I would have to line the jacket – and I didn't want a lined jacket.... So the fabric joined my stash.|
And "stash" is the key word. Now the Fabric Stash Contest is in full swing and I have joined, to give myself the little extra push that I seem to need to get some sewing done. I have been needing new curtains for my bedroom window (only one fairly small window in my bedroom - I live in a 100-year old house in Germany) for some time now and curtains are a quick, easy way to use up fabric. So I started auditioning fabrics from my stash with curtains in mind.
When I got to the velvet cotton, I knew I had a winner. The colors go well in my bedroom and the velvet keeps out the light very well. A quick measure of the previous (faded) curtains, to get the length, add a little more for the head and hem, cut 2 fabric rectangles to the correct size, and hem all edges - and my new curtains were done (and so was my next entry in the Fabric Stash Contest)!