Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5302 (City Dress)

Reviewed by:Tarawebster

About Tarawebsterstar
Member since: 1/31/03
Posted on:4/5/05 11:35 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people

AnneM said... (4/10/05 1:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for the additional info, Tara. Perhaps I will try one, then, since they are such a pretty fabric.
Georgene said... (4/8/05 4:27 PM) Reply
Yes, please post a photo. It sounds wonderful!
Tarawebster said... (4/8/05 4:14 PM) Reply
Good question about the show through on the rest of the dress Anne. It is a very very slightly burnt velvet, so the sheer parts are small and far from each other. None the less, I wasn't comfortable with the top being even slightly sheer, so I added the facing. I wear a long black slip underneath it for the rest of the sheer part, on the skirt, but I could get away without a slip on this one. Most burnt velvets need either a lining or a slip. Don't let that stop you from working with them though. The sew up very easily, are a dream to work with, and look very pretty. I need to figure out how to load a picture of the dress so I can add a picture to my review. I wore it to work and people asked me were I bought it! That was a first for me, lol. It's also a great travel dress, as the fabric will not wrinkle, and it is loose and comfy.
AnneM said... (4/6/05 4:24 AM) Reply
Good idea on the "modesty facing". This might be a silly question, but given that this is a dress, do you have show-through in, say, the skirt portion? I've always been a bit skeptical of burn-out velvet for that very reason.
tigger said... (4/5/05 4:18 PM) Reply
Sounds great - I love LH's patterns too - hope we get to see a photo of it soon!

The Technique of Underlining Garments