Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1247 (Misses' Top and Skirt)

Reviewed by:TJSEWS

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts
Fabric:Silk Crepe  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Very loose-fitting top

Pattern Sizing: AA (6 through 12) DD (12 through 18). I followed the advice of previous posters and chose one size smaller for the top and it worked out quite well.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Certainly this pattern does not need yet another review! However, since I went through the effort of making it, I will add my two cents.

I really like how comfortable it is.

Fabric Used: Silk crepe de chine purchased from NY Elegant Fabrics, NYC.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I traced the mirror image of the pattern so that I could cut single layer. I find that when working with a fabric as slippery as crepe de chine, this is the best way to obtain accuracy in cutting.

I used 100% cotton thread to avoid / reduce any puckering.

It is important to stabilize the neckline.

I did use all French seams as suggested by the pattern. If you decide to use all French seams, the best way to match the front bottom pieces is to NOT sew the center front first as suggested by the pattern. I initially did follow the instructions of the pattern, and found that by the time I got to attach the fourth piece, there was too much bulk that was skewed to one side. I was unhappy with the result which was super bulky and lopsided.

I then decided to sew the side bottom pieces together first. Once both sets of side pieces are sewn, THEN I sewed the center front. In other words, I sewed pieces 4 and 5 first and then attached at center front. What this did was evenly distribute the bulk so that it was easier to create and join all of the French Seams at that one point. See photos (the first photo is my first attempt using the pattern instructions. The remaining photos are my adaptation): http:/click here

I also found that the best way to gain some control over this slippery fabric was to hand baste all of the seams prior to machine stitching. That way, the fabric would not slip and slide with the motion of the feed dogs.

I added 1 inch to the neckline. I added 5/8 inch to the hem.

To keep the shoulder pleats from getting too poofy, I topstitched them down for 4 inches.

Following the advice of previous posters, I cut the cuffs on the straight grain. The pattern suggests tacking it in a few places but with such a slippery fabric, the cuffs would just flop over so I handstitched them all around with a running stitch.

Would you sew it again? I just may. Next time, I will use a less fussy fabric and avoid the French seams. But for now, I am going to work on the skirt.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes!

Conclusion: This is a great top! However, this is not a top that you should do in a rush due to all of the matching involved and the French seams (if you decide to use French seams). Take your time with it and enjoy the process!

Clareew said... (8/10/14 12:47 PM) Reply
Great review, thank you for your tips.
cleverkitty said... (8/8/14 7:49 AM) Reply
Love your version of this top, I wear the one I made a lot. I stitched down the shoulder pleats too. Can't have enough reviews on patterns always interesting to see other versions, thanks for posting :)
SewWil said... (8/6/14 9:18 PM) Reply
Cute top! Great color.
Deepika said... (8/6/14 9:37 AM) Reply
Beautiful top. I love the vibrant color of your fabric.
miausiau said... (8/6/14 0:44 AM) Reply
I am making another of these right now. You are so right about the major intersection in the front. You can't hide any errors with a solid CDC. Your careful work has produced an elegant and timeless top.
marykpfist said... (8/5/14 10:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great tip on order of sewing. Stunning color!
MRamos said... (7/17/13 9:34 PM) Reply
Beautiful top and very informative review!
Barbara V said... (7/15/13 1:17 PM) Reply
What a very pretty top on you in that gorgeous silk crepe de chine. Your good control of the delicate fabric and many detailed steps gave beautiful results. It is obvious that you enjoyed the process!
Jrhee said... (7/11/13 11:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful silk top! Thanks for all the tips in working with it!
norie creates said... (7/9/13 8:09 PM) Reply
Love this top in this fabric! Thanks for the great review too!
NewRibena said... (7/8/13 5:08 PM) Reply
Great fabric choice!
jenleeC said... (7/8/13 9:41 AM) Reply
Your silk top is beautiful! I totally agree with you on the hand-basting for fussy fabrics. It seems to make all the difference to the quality of the finish and I find it ends up being quicker in the long run.
MNBarb said... (7/8/13 7:39 AM) Reply
This is such a hit-or-miss pattern depending on fabric choice. Your periwinkle silk is just perfect and very beautiful!
liliv said... (7/8/13 6:24 AM) Reply
Perfect style! Simple design and luxurious fabric in this strong color, I like it. I like your necklace as well:)
Elke said... (7/8/13 6:12 AM) Reply
Very pretty top and it looks great on you. Thanks for the terrific review!
KEcupcakemaker said... (7/7/13 10:50 PM) Reply
Thank you TJSews for the wonderful instructions. The top looks lovely!
evelynhughes said... (7/7/13 8:53 PM) Reply
What a stunning result - you can tell the time you spend doing it by the beautiful seammatching. Your tip regarding changing the order is gold and I will use it next time I make this top. Again.
vaness said... (7/7/13 7:39 PM) Reply
Yours is a fantastic make of this simple looking, but difficult make well, pattern. The fussy fabric was definitely worth it. The drape of the top is right on. Congratulations!
Elona said... (7/7/13 7:11 PM) Reply
It's a beautiful top, and thank you so much for the tips about matching the seams and controlling fullness at the shoulders.
Rhoda K said... (7/7/13 5:29 PM) Reply
Great job handling the fabric!

No Pattern Used No Pattern Used