Online Sewing Class: All About Linings

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6559 (Misses' Unlined Jackets and Dresses)

Reviewed by:Jenerationx

About Jenerationx
Member since: 2/20/07

Best Patterns of 2012
Posted on:7/9/13 11:08 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket
wildberrymom said... (7/11/13 10:44 AM) Reply
Very nice--I'm going to have to try this one. I wore maxi's all the time back in the 70's (does that tell my age?!) and loved them but haven't had one for a while. Maybe it's time.
norie creates said... (7/9/13 8:03 PM) Reply
Beautiful! This is still one of my favorite patterns!
Jenerationx said... (7/9/13 7:24 PM) Reply
Wow, such great info in that It's Sew Easy TV video! My husband is excited about getting his shirts fitted now! :)
atymonw said... (7/9/13 4:05 PM) Reply
Love your version! And glad you figured out a way to make those too thin knits work:)
renren said... (7/9/13 3:45 PM) Reply
Ah, yes, I think I may see the hemline of the lining (or lower edge, anyway). I wasn't sure if you had managed to piece together the men's t-shirt to make a full lining. I think the shortened lining might be more comfortable for summer. I have some swimsuit lining I bought from JAF a couple years ago I plan to use. Also, for that swayback adj, let me share with you a video I just watched this morning. It's at itsseweasytv.com in a 30-minute video. I believe it was either 8 or 12 minutes into the video (Peggy Sagers' segment) where she talks about this very issue. The video is free to watch online until 7/12/13 so it is very timely for you. I think it is labeled as ISE302, but you'll see it if you scroll down just a bit. The whole 30-min video is worth watching but the issue you are dealing with is at the 'front end' of the vid. Good luck and thanks for responding to my query. I believe this maxi dress is next up in my sewing queue.
Jenerationx said... (7/9/13 1:09 PM) Reply
Thanks ladies! Renren, Yes, my lining is shorter. It's about 4" above my knee; you can sort-of see it if you click on the picture. The reason I did that is because Joann's didn't have any good options for linings, so I went with a men's XXL t-shirt.
renren said... (7/9/13 11:42 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting this. I had pulled pattern and fabric yesterday to sew the dress but put them back when I realized the fabric was too thin and didn't know how to go about lining the dress. This review is a big help. Is your lining shorter than the dress? I'm wondering about sewing a maxi dress with a knee-length lining. Thanks for the link to the youtube video. I've seen other videos by that producer and have found them immensely helpful.
MrsCharisma said... (7/9/13 11:35 AM) Reply