Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6512 (Misses' Blouses)

Reviewed by:Danmar

About Danmar
FL United States
Member since: 11/3/11
Posted on:7/20/13 3:33 PM
Last Updated:7/24/13 1:07 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
threaddy said... (7/26/13 0:59 AM) Reply
I have this pattern ...and now i will be cautious although i think it looks nice the way you finished it.
Lisabeans said... (7/22/13 7:50 PM) Reply
I also had a wadder with this pattern, in the other view with the bow. I blamed my fabric selection, but maybe the pattern isn't so great either. Sorry you had bad luck with it too. :(
Danmar said... (7/21/13 8:07 PM) Reply
Sewingcanary and everybody. Thank you so much for taking the time for the tips. I appreciate it!
Danvillegirl said... (7/21/13 6:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review and pointing out a few things about this blouse, like the shoulder tabs.
sewingcanary said... (7/21/13 2:38 PM) Reply
I can see your concerns. This might have been better in a soft, draping rayon. With the pockets, try using glue stick for pocket corners. I love the stuff. It dries in a few minutes, has a bit of workability time and totally washes out. You do need to let it dry or it gunks up the needle. It�s especially nice in places where things MUST be held down before sewing but pins make them sit crooked. It can eliminate a lot of basting. From the looks of the yoke, I�d be curious to see how using a narrow or cord elastic would work. With such a fine fabric, I�d be concerned with the seam pulling. Glue stick is also great for hold seams before serging. You never run the risk of hitting vertical pins and the fabric always lays flat. Any glue stick will work, however I get acid-free ones, but not the purple ones. You don�t need to pay the often inflated price of the ones from the sewing shops.
PattyE said... (7/20/13 7:47 PM) Reply
I'm sorry you don't like it...I think it looks nice on you.
TinaLea said... (7/20/13 6:55 PM) Reply
Bummer - the fabric is really pretty for that pattern, but we all know that feeling of getting done with a project and it just doesn't feel right on us! Chalk this one up to experience, and put it in the donate pile when you are done; someone will be thrilled with it I'm sure! But - before you do that - layer it over a white short-sleeved scoop-necked tee......that would make the white of the interfaced areas blend in with the white in the tee underneath, you may still be able to salvage it!
MrsCharisma said... (7/20/13 4:47 PM) Reply
I had very bad luck with this pattern too :( I considered it a wadder and tossed it.
sewsue1 said... (7/20/13 3:59 PM) Reply
The shirt does look great - I'm sorry you weren't happy with the look on you. I have definitely been there with oddities that I didn't notice on the envelope until I finished the project and it was too late!

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns