|Pattern Description: |
Simplicity 1808 SewStylish envelope just says "Misses' pants or shorts, jacket and knit dress or top and tie belt. I made the jacket, view E, which is an unlined peplum jacket with lapels made to wear open. There are no closures, but if you are thin enough (not me) you could add one!
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, except I used a print and lined it. In addition to the below pics on my dress form, there are some of the sewing process and of me wearing it if you click on the thumbnail (I hope!)
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were easy enough, but the lining/underlining and interfacing made extra layers and complicated it a bit. Here is the link to the underlining technique from Threads magazine that encloses the seams.
I had four layers and interfacing to work with throughout the process and the lining was slippery! The underlining of the bodice went so smoothly, and looked so nice with the enclosed seams. But when I got to the sleeves, I couldn't figure out how it would work in "tube" so to speak. I ended up underlining the sleeves the regular way and serging them inside with matching red thread.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the style and lines of this jacket, and that there are no closures. It is simple and the peplum is cute. I'm not crazy about the tuck in the back of the peplum which makes it stick out over the rear end kind of funny. Even DH asked me if that was "supposed to be like that?" Could be because my fabric is cotton and stiff, plus I used self-fabric for the peplum facing rather than the thinner lining. (Next time I'll know.)
I can't even believe I bought it, but it's premium quiliting cotton! It is the Alexander Henry Collection, Michi Kanji. I don't even usually go in the quilting section at JoAnn's, but I did last time and this caught my eye. The lining is poly. (Kanji means Chinese lettering used in Japanese writing, and Michi means path or journey...I think that's what I got out of my online research anyway.)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I lengthened the peplum 1.5". I could tell by my muslin that it would be too short, and no wonder because the peplum pattern piece is the same length no matter what size you cut. To me that throws off the design of the garment, but it's a matter of taste, really. I altered it so the top and bottom would be the same as the original. Like this:
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I don't know if I need another of this design, but I do like it! It was a lot of work. If I make another it would be from better fabric with a little stretch to it. I also would like to take a class in "bagging a lining" that you do by machine. All the linings I have done in the past were slipstitched in by hand - not my preference. I don't even use lining much because I get so hot! But in the case of this jacket, the inside would have looked a hot mess if I hadn't done something!
I do recommend making a muslin on this so that it fits by using the "Big 4's 5/8 inch seams. This jacket has lots of pieces and they fit together perfectly IF you make all your seams the same size.
A stylish little jacket. I had fun making it.