Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

WI USA
Member since: 3/21/02
Posted on:12/5/01 4:10 PM
Last Updated:6/21/03 3:12 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
CarCar said... (7/13/09 9:05 PM) Reply
Thank you for this review. I am thinking of purchasing Bonfit as a quicker way to make patterns. It let me know that I will still have to draft X small and plus sizes. CarCar
JudY said... (8/23/07 8:46 PM) Reply
I like to read about sewing and getting a good fit, so I think I would prbably like the Bonfit bodice patterner. I currently use Lutterloh and there is a learning curve there, too.
bananaoil said... (10/26/06 6:49 PM) Reply
I would like to read more about Mini's experiences with the patterner in general. I have them and have been surprised that I couldn't find a user group or something like what she refers to on line.
fran mc said... (1/28/05 0:45 AM) Reply
Thanks for the Review. I will put off buying one for a while. One tip for checking a drafted pattern is to make up in 1/4 inch checked fabric. Then all the grain lines are easy to see, and to test if the garment hangs straight or crooked. The check helps to see how much to take in or let out. I haven't done this often - I tend to go right to my fabric!
jb said... (7/3/03 1:18 AM) Reply
Mini: Thank you. From your review, I will now take a stab at the patterners. I will thorughy read the books again and go for it . You are so right about no support from the company. I think that that is a horrible way to do business. I am a person that can read and follow writing instructions. I will let you know how is goes. It is also welcoming to know that there are people out here that have tried these patterners and now I have someone to talk to about these things. Again, may I say this is a GREAT SITE.
Everyday Sewist said... (6/21/03 6:48 PM) Reply
I have both the bodice patterner and the pants patterner, and have tried them both. I got better results from the bodice patterner than the pants. I think I would probably get a better result from the pants if I copied the crotch curve from my favorite pattern. I have not used these much, because it's sort of a bother to take out all the pieces. But I'm thinking I might try it again now that I know more about drafting and fitting. I do think it would speed up the drafting process, especially for bodice patterns.
Gina Marie said... (6/21/03 3:32 PM) Reply
I have the pants patterner. Talk about a blooming mess !! But like you say, I think it is just a matter of sticking to it and reading thru the book, versus just jumping in.
said... (8/31/02 2:05 AM) Reply
This looks very promising, I bought the whole set a few years ago( Shirley Adams sold me too) but wasn't happy with my first couple of attempts. The ease factor was confusing, but this site find is encouraging and I will have another look. Thanks
said... (8/23/02 9:05 PM) Reply
If you click on Discussion, I posted some answers and pictures in the Bonfit discussion. It is the same place where you posted a question. There is more room there, as this is getting pretty long.
said... (8/23/02 4:14 PM) Reply
Mini, it's fine if we move this to the discussion section. But how do I get there? Pam
said... (8/23/02 3:43 PM) Reply
Gigi, I am not patient; I am stubborn :)! Pam, maybe we should try to move this conversation into the discussion section of Patternreview. I am going to get the book out later and see if I can answer your question. I make no guaranteees, but I can try. The patterner does have some ease built in. I think it doesn't matter which back neck template you use,but one is higher than the other.
said... (8/23/02 2:02 PM) Reply
Thanks, Mini. That helps a lot. But one thing confuses me. They said to make sure the hip enlarger was at the required hip measurement (bottom of p. b.3). If I moved the lower waist panel away, that added another inch or so. Or is that just ease? I called Bonfit, and they no longer have someone there to help people who have problems. I guess if they intended to hire somebody and got no answer. I was ready to send the patterner back when I decided to try this website. I think you should offer your services to Bonfit as a consultant. They should fill that position, if they want to market these. I have some more questions about the patterner. When you get to the back, it says to do it the same as for the front. I presume they mean to use the back neck to waist measurement though? When I got to the neckline (Step 5 on p. b.4), my back and front pieces didn't match up. I'm not sure what they mean by neckline/shoulder corner. And they don't tell you which adapter to use. One seemed to fit the hole better, so I used it. When the necklines didn't match, I called Bonfit. I think if I could do this top and understand the process, I could use the patterner. It intrigues me. Thanks, Pam
said... (8/23/02 1:22 PM) Reply
Mini, this just proves that you are much more patient than I! I ordered the patterner set when they first came out - I think 10+ years ago. When the boxes arrived I was overwhelmed so I taped them back up and sent them back.
said... (8/23/02 12:58 PM) Reply
Pam, the center front line for the pattern is drawn first-it remains the center front permanently. You move the lower panel away from the CF while you draw the side seam of the top. Don't do anything to change the center front line.When you take the patterner off the paper, the pattern will look like the one in the book. Have you tried Bonfit's help department? According to their website they have a 800 number you can call, or use their e-mail address. The phone # and email address are in the FAQ Questions section of the Bonfit website.
said... (8/22/02 10:32 PM) Reply
I had some trouble with the measurements, as I am not symmetric. But the big problems are in drafting the pattern for the Basic Top. At the bottom of p. b.3 and the top of b.4, I had problems. They don't make it clear where the pattern is to be put, after you've moved the lower waist panel to the left. The waist is now about an inch to the left of the base panel. Which is on the center front line you've just drawn? I presume the lower waist panel? Am I correct? I have some more questions, but let's start here. I'd very much appreciate your help. Thanks, Pam
said... (8/22/02 8:43 PM) Reply
Maybe I can help. Which part of the manual are you working on?
said... (8/22/02 8:41 PM) Reply
After reading this review, I decided to purchase this pattern. Now I am having some frustrations following the instructions in the manual. Bonfit merely sells the patterns and has no one there who can help me. Can anyone help me? Thanks, Pamjr
said... (8/10/02 0:52 AM) Reply
Thank you, Mini, for the detailed review of the Bonfit bodice pattern. You've helped me decide to try this pattern.
said... (4/9/02 2:45 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. I have had the Bonfit bodice and pant patterner for many years and have yet to use it. I think I will give it a try.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns