Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2588 (Misses and Miss Petite Dresses Project Runway Collection)

Reviewed by:petitesewist

Pattern Photo:Simplicity 2588
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Satin  [See other projects in this fabric]
The full review is on my blog post here

This dress pattern from Project Runway allows you to choose different skirt and sleeve options. I chose the flared skirt with the flat sleeves.

***Because the pattern instructions aren't very straight forward, I would not recommend this pattern to someone who has limited experience sewing clothing. ***

Problems with the pattern:
ZIPPER --- The envelope tells you to buy a 22" zipper, but not what kind. Use an invisible zipper.
HEM DEPTH --- The pattern didn't say how much to hem the skirt.

HEM TAPE --- Not mentioned under one of the notions, but I feel like hem tape is invaluable when hemming a flared skirt. The end result is much smoother and looks nicer from the right side of fabric. Satin can be a nightmare to sew with. Let's not make it any more difficult, please!

POCKETS --- I also did not think that the instructions for constructing the pockets were very intuitive, but I hate reading instructions...so yeah. But I love pockets!

FRONT PLEATS ---The front pleats were harder to construct than I expected. I think sometimes it's difficult to wrap your head around how to fold a pleat when it's just a flat piece of nothingness. I figured it out after a few tries. The instructions tell you to actually sew the pleat together, fold and press it to one side, and then remove the stitching.

I made a ton of alterations to make this pattern fit my body. I go over them on my blog post here.

Overall look:
I think the front view looks great! The dress fits perfectly in the bust and pretty good at the shoulders and waist. I will be using this pattern again soon, maybe in a cotton or linen fabric.

agirlnamedkatie said...
I find with being petite as well the project runway pattern's torsos are just too long! And I came across some of the same problems in my last pattern with them about not being very straightforward about what is needed and steps to take. I often don't pay attention to the instructions at all and just put it together on my own. I enjoy the puzzle. Here is a link to my dress that used two project runway patterns: http://loveiswhyiwake.blogspot.com/2014/02/project-little-white-dress_13.html
2/15/14 10:17 AM