I initially made this shirt in January, just needing the cuffs finished & buttons/buttonholes. It was put it aside when I realised I had to take the collar off and cut a new one. The new collar made a big difference.
Pattern Description: Button-up shirts with slight V neck and 'squarish' mandarin collar, darts at bust and lower back, optional pocket. Shirt or tunic length with a choice of 5 sleeve variations.
Pattern Sizing: 6-22.
Fabric Used: Japanese cotton voile - very soft. The print is a little wild but I loved the colours and I wanted to feature one of the sunbursts on the back of the shirt. fabric showing full print
Alterations / design changes: I used the shirt length and left off the pockets.
Initially I was going to graft on the collar and collar stand from New Look 6050 but the necklines were slightly different. I ended up curving the front of the collar piece as I didn't like the square shape of the collar. I ended up cutting a new collar and the first one too short along the neckline seam. After comparing the seam lengths, I added 1" at the centre back and it fitted much better. I think I mistake is probably mine - either copying the wrong size or perhaps the NL collar.
The sleeve variations do not include a long sleeve so modified the sleeve from this shirt , keeping the sleeve head the same and grafting in one from a KnipMode shirt which had a sleeve placket and cuff.
Instructions: I didn't use the instructions so I can't really comment on them in any detail.
Likes & Dislikes: I like the shaping in the shirt and the hem. I'm not so happy with the sleeve head for me and will adjust it next time.
The front band is a simple rectangle so the outside edge strains a bit where it bends. I think a shaped piece would have been better.
Conclusion Still undecided if I like the print or not. Some days I just love it and other days I think it looks like a "majic mushroom trip"