Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Pin-up Girls: PB-3200 (Shelley Full Band Bra) - Type:Lingerie |
|Viewed 250 times
||5 more reviews|
Review rated Helpful
by 2 people Very Helpful
by 8 people
|Reviewed by:||julie w|
|About julie w |
|Member since: 12/25/06 |
|Reviews written: 19|
|Favored by: 3 people|
|patterns reviewed: 16|
|Posted on:||7/29/13 8:37 AM |
Pattern Info provided by julie w
|Pattern Rating:||Difficult, but great for Advanced Sewers |
|Fabric:||Duoplex [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
Bra Pattern with power bar (4 piece cup)
I used the pattern range from 30A to 38D. I wasn't sure what size to make so contacted Bramakers for information and was told to follow their measurement guide and that the sizing would be different to that found in Australian RTW. I usually wear the equivalent of a 34DD so began by making a 36D which was just too large everywhere for my first muslin. For the second muslin I made in a 34D, see more below in alterations.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes I think so.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very good, I also complimented them by reading Demystifying Bra Fitting and Construction by Norma Loehr.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really liked the power bar piece that is a side panel on the cup, similar to what I find in RTW. The pieces are well drafted and go together well.
I used Duoplex, one of the recommended fabrics for the cups, stretch lace for the top of the cup and powernet for the band. Simplex and non stretch lace are also recommended. I purchased mine together with a findings kit from Elingeria before they closed. I purchased three sizes of underwires to test the fit but ended up using the recommended size.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
As mentioned previously I made three muslins out of quilting cotton for the cups and powernet for the band. The first muslin was too large to I went down a size. This second muslin fit quite well but I needed to make the following changes:
1. I needed height on the side so I cut the top of the power bar 0n the size 38D line.
2. I slashed and pivoted the upper cup by 3/8" tapering to nothing ar the bottom of the pattern piece, as this is where I needed more fullness.
3. I pinched out the same 3/8" from the power bar close to the outside edge.
I widened the bottom of the bridge by 1" in total (1/2" on the fold) so that it would sit close to the chest.
I then made a third muslin to check the changes also out of quilting cotton.
This is the first wearable version in "proper" fabrics with all the elastics, hooks etc sewn on. I wasn't sure that the powernet was firm enough so I lined with some lycra I had on hand, but after wearing for the day I don't think this was necessary as it could have been a little too firm. I will try one or the other next time.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would recommend this pattern but be prepared to muslin for fit. I'm happy I chose this pattern as a first due to the detailed instructions.
I'm really happy with this as a first attempt. The topstitching could have been better in places especially when attaching the underwire casing but am ready to cut another from the stash of supplies I purchased before Elingeria closed down.
After wearing for the day other than the band possibly being too firm the bra was very comfortable with no wires digging in anywhere.
I found this pattern difficult to rate but ended up rating it difficult but great for advanced sewings due to the elastic attachment, acurate seamlines and all the topstitching.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment