|Pattern Description: Misses’ Amazing Fit dress with individual pattern pieces for Slim, Average and Curvy Fit and A, B, C, D cup sizes.|
Pattern Sizing:6-14 and 16-24. I used a 16 D cup size for my DD
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?The bodice part did, the rest not, due to the design changes I made - see below.
Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes, where I used them. The amazing fit instructions are very detailed and can be confusing, but one should not let that put you off.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Liked the design of the bodice, which was what attracted DD to it in the first instance.
Fabric Used:I've made it twice (the bodice part actually three times!) The dress on the left is in purple/pink ITY and the one on the right in turquoise stretch velvet.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:DD needed a dress for a formal Harp Gig in the middle of winter. This pattern was the third that was part of this process. Whereas I was last in the queue when cup sizes were handed out, she was first in line! The first challenge! The second challenge was that Simplicity 2217 is actually intended for a woven fabric (such as cotton, damask, satin, shantung, taffeta, etc) whereas DD wanted a long dress in stretch velvet. So, for starters we eliminated the ease and based the size that we used on the finished garment measurements that were closest to her actual measurements. Plus from their guidelines, we chose the D cup pattern. I also did not use a zip. I proceeded to make a mock up of the bodice (without sleeves) in the purple/pink ITY and found that the armscyes were gaping very much in the front. (I will not even go into the skipped stitches with the ITY - my trusty old Singer 201K had to come to the rescue!) This sent me on a mission to solve the problem, since obviously one cannot just "fill in" the gap since that would change the shape of the armscye necessitating changing the sleeve, etc. After a steep learning curve I found a website that guided one on doing an armscye princess style FBA . I made a 1.9cm adjustment based on the observed gap. (DD lives 132km away so was not available for continual measurements and trials!) Then I made muslin number two, this time with sleeves and waistband and skirt (I used the skirt part of Simplicity 2544 - DD preferred it). This time the fit was fine and I could proceed with the dress in the stretch velvet. This too made DD very happy! The drape of the two dresses is different (ITY thinner, but "heavier") which illustrates how choice of fabric influences fit and must always be kept in mind. We tested the stretch of the two fabrics before the time, which was the same, yet they "hang "differently.
I give God all the glory and honor for the success with these dresses!
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Probably not for DD, but for myself in the A cup pattern! I'd also use a stretch fabric. I would recommend it, if you are willing to make sure that you get your sizing correct and maybe make a muslin if you're not sure. The pleats at the bust line are really flattering to the fuller bust and I suspect they will also be flattering to those of us that are lesser endowed! As advertised the neckline lays smoothly and stays in place.
Conclusion: The basics are fine and learning to do an armscye princess style FBA was such an enlightening and empowering experience! Even if I just learned that from the whole process it would have been worthwhile, but on top of that DD has two dresses that please her very much!